Does anyone here shave their cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone here shave their cats?

I ask, because as my Maine Coon is shedding her winter hair....she is matted something fierce under her belly. I have a de-matting comb, which isnt helping this time of the year at all! Her undercoat is so cotton-like!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 10:09 PM

There are some members who find that taking their feline friends to a groomer is a lost less stressful on everyone. Many prefer what's called a "lion cut," which makes the kitty look like a small version of a lion.

Many times, a groomer will sedate the kitty prior to grooming, to prevent injury to all parties involved (including the cat) so I would research before hand.

Good luck on finding a solution that suits you best!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I think you should talk to a few groomers and your vet. If its an older cat, chances are it has stopped grooming itself and it'd be easier to shave and start over with a fresh coat that you can groom on a regular basis to prevent mats in the future. However, if its an older cat, sedation is more risky.

Some cats are better than others. We have a few cats that stay still long enough to shave their bellies to look for scars from spaying, so this might not even be a big issue for your cat.

I highly doubt you'll have much luck combing out the mats though. Best bet is to have a professional do the job and keep up with it yourself from now on.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Cat

Send a message via MSN to Tindi18
Both my cats are shorthairs. No, I don't shave them at all, their fur is very manageable.

~Alexandra

Cats were once worshipped like gods. They never let us forget that.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Dylan is Maine coon and has had no need to shave him as of yet. I brush him (as much as he will allow me) every evening when we curl up on sofa together and have had no signs of matting as yet.

I love Dylans fur so much though I think I'd cry if he had to have it all shaved off
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:13 PM

I never took my Maine coon to the groomers but the mats got so bad that my mom and I would clip them off of her. We didn't mind having a mishappen hairball running around though.

I would just get a Line not "lion" if it is your cats first time to the groomers. a Lion cut can be very tramatizing to a cat for the first time.

A line cut just shaves the belly hair.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:15 PM

We bring Scully to the groomers to be brushed and trimmed because he HATES being brushed.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:23 PM

I've had three long haired cats in my life - two of them kept their fur in beautiful shape without me ever having to brush or comb them.

The third one is my "special" needs kitty, and has never had the ability or gotten the concept of grooming. She's been shaved once - by the vet, who put her under for the procedure (she was shaved on the belly, neck, and butt region). I use a slicker brush and mat comb on her now, occasionally cut out mats, and keep certain areas trimmed all the time.

I'd start fresh - get her belly shaved, and then I'd highly recommend using a slicker brush on her - it pulls out a TON of that super fluffy undercoat. Truly works wonders on Pfeffa!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:24 PM

Charlie is Maine Coon, too. So far no shaving necessary, he loves to be brushed and cares for his own coat as well. If she has matting then I suggest taking her to the vet. Those mats can be extremely uncomfortable for a cat.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 05:08 PM

I have had my kitties shaved once during shedding season and it seemed to help. Watch who you go to if you decide to do this and do some homework. Not all places will take cats and be sure that the place you take them too does not sedate ALL cats that come in. Some do not need it. I took two to be shaved and neither one of them had to be sedated ... and one is normally a real pain when she has anything like that done to her. She hisses and drools and the whole bit, but the lady shaving her had no problem doing it. They got the lion cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page