Can cats get depressed?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Can cats get depressed??

I have 2 cats that, after 5 years of being together, have now suffered from some kind of re-aggression incident. Now they are continuously kept separate, except when I am trying to follow the program to get them together again. But my "victim" cat is acting like she is depressed!! She sits under my son's bed looking like she is ready to sprint away, just staring at the floor. When you call her name, she gives a little half-hearted meow, as if to say "Mom, please make it better". She is starting to depress me!! I feel so bad, and I am trying so hard to help my two girls get back to "normal" or at least to where they can see each other and not get angy or terrified. Is there anything I can do for kitty depression besides drugs? My cat has a serious heart problem, so I have to be careful what I give her.......

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:29 PM
Cat Addict

Sure, cats can get depressed! What happened to your cats that you have to keep them separate?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

We don't know exactly what happened. They had some kind of re-directed aggression incident 31/2 weeks ago, and one cat really tried to kill the other cat. She had her by the neck and was shaking her and biting her. They have never fought before and have been together since kittens. Now we have each shut in a room and each get 12 hours of house-roaming time each day. We are going through a program to try to re-introduce them to each other as if they were new kitties. So far nothing has worked. But my poor victim kitty is always on edge, like she is waiting for the next attack. I wish I could make her feel safer.......

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Cat Addict

Have you taken them to the vet? Maybe the aggressor is having health problems -- which cat was the more dominant cat?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Yes, both cats went to the vets within 2 days of the initial attack, and both checked out fine. The other vets in my area have been no help, when I called them for a second opinion. They just said it couldn't be undone and that one would have to be PTS, because they call her a "head-case" or crazy cat. I refuse to believe that at this stage in the game.

Christine
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Cat Addict

Alot of people on here have had success with flower essences. I was thinking about the Peacemaker or the Bully formulas for you.

http://www.spiritessence.com/?action=ca ... tegory=fec

I can't recommend any of these though (haven't used them), but there was just a post about this the other day -- maybe you could PM some of these members who are using them?

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=16979&start=30
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 12:13 AM

after we lost our dog, Connor was depressed.......he'd lay around and sigh and then drop his head down. we just gave him lots of attention, and he eventually came around! I hope happiness visits your home soon!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Many thanks Irish, I can sure use the "well wishes"!! Lol. Hippy, I have looked into the spirit essence package, but unfortunately my vet says that I cannot give the "victim" cat, China, anything like that because of her heart condition. I explained that they are all natural, but she said there is not enough information on them to determine if there is anything that could harm the cat since she has a problem. I am too chicken to try it out anyway, my son would be devasted if I hurt his "baby". He is eleven years old and extremely protective of these cats!!

Last night the 2 cats had 10 minutes in the same vicinity as each other with no closed doors, and no hissing or growling. Lots of tension, but I would consider it a good session. We separated them again after 10 minutes on a good note. I will try again tonight, and every night. We try to give each cat a lot of attention so they will not feel like they are being punished because of the confinement periods.

Christine
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Cat Addict

I don't really have any experience in this area, but I think you're doing a good job with reintroducing them. It will probably just take time before they will get used to each other again.

About the kitty prozac, did they tell you it would take a certain amount of time before it will kick in? With adult anti-depression/anxiety drugs, it usually takes about a month of daily uses before it will take effect, then you can decide if it is working for you.

Good luck!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

The vet did not put the aggressor on prozac, she does not believe in the drug therapy. So I am just working on the other ways. The cat with the depression problem is the cat with the serious heart problem so she is not allowed to go on any drugs. My son tries to give her extra attention so she will 'snap out of it' as he says. She sleeps with him at night, and he makes sure she is very comfy. If it is her turn to roam the house while the other one is locked away, he makes sure she gets her full 12 hours of freedom, not one minute less!! He is like a little mother hen. (He will make a great dad someday, but at 11 yrs old, I will NOT mention that to him. Lol)

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page