Bowl eating/drinking and litter training - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Min

Bowl eating/drinking and litter training

Howl is now almost 4 weeks, and when I try to stick his nose/mouth into a bowl of kitty-milk, he still doesn't want to drink it on his own. Same with wet food. Is there a special technique that works well to get him off the bottle?

Also, up until now, I've had to wipe his rear with a rag after every feeding to make him go potty. How do you teach him to use the litter box? I've put him in there, moved his paw to scratch at the sand, and tried to wipe his rear just a little to make him go, but he doesn't get the idea... Do I just keep at it until he gets it?

Thanks for any advice you can give...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Banned

Feeding....will he lick your finger? Get him to lick your finger then move it close to the food bowl so he gets the idea where it's coming from.

Litterbox...I don't know what else; that's exactly what I'd do. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

It's tough to be a kitten mom!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Min

I tried getting him to lick my finger, but he turns his head away, so I try to put some wet food into his open mouth, and he eats it, but shakes his head as in saying "what just happened", and doesn't want to eat anything after that either.

Maybe he's just being stubborn, but I hope he figures it out soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:55 PM

Re: Bowl eating/drinking and litter training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min
I've put him in there, moved his paw to scratch at the sand, and tried to wipe his rear just a little to make him go, but he doesn't get the idea... Do I just keep at it until he gets it?
That is basically what I did with my orphans. At four weeks he should start going on his own (whether in the box or not). Does he go on his own at all or does he always need to be stimulated? When he stops needing to be stimulated it will be easier. Is he all alone too or are their other cats around? Cats learn a lot from each other, and if he watches another cat use the box he might get the idea!

I would continue to stimulate him only in the litterbox and move his paws first. Even though it is smelly, I also would leave some of his doings in the litter box until he gets the idea (still clean it but not all tha way!).

About the food, what food are you feeding? When I had orphans I fed A/D Prescription diet mixed with the replacement milk. They gobbled it right up!

Do you know for sure he is four weeks? Maybe he is a little younger, or developing a little slower. I bet you will see a big difference in a week! Have you posted pictures of him? Little kittens are soo cute!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Cat Addict

He will figure it out, Min. Four weeks isn't old at all -- some of my kittens took up to six weeks before they would consistently eat from a plate and use the litter box. Just keep at it!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Min

Thanks for your swift replies and sound advice!

I have an older cat, Mouse (registered as Dr. Pepper, but he doesn't listen to that...) and at first he didn't like Howl at all, and kept hissing at him. Now he seems to think Howl is a playtoy and tries to seriously rough it with him, so I try to keep them both seperate unless I'm there to supervise. I don't know how Mouse will react to Howl's using his litterbox, I was thinking of getting a seperate one for Howl, but your suggestions seem to point to that Howl will learn better with Mouse there as a guide (as long as he doesn't bite the little one's head off in the process )

I'm feeding Howl KMR milk replacement for kittens right now, and got a kitten-sized bottle from PetValue that he uses. I read somewhere that to get them started, people have tried baby-food, so I got some from the store, chicken and turkey flavored stuff, but he doesn't want that... I do have some Whiskas tender bites pouches, and some SmartChoice catfood that I've been giving Mouse as a treat every now and then, that I've been trying to tempt Howl with, to no prevail.

I guess the best thing to do is keep at it, and maybe another week will tell better tales, as you all suggested...

Thanks again, I'll let you know how we progress!

PS, pics of Howl can be found at my website, if you want, I'll post some of Mouse as well... ^-^x
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Cat Addict

Have you tried mixing the KMR with the baby food? Make sort of a soupy mixture, so he'll still get the milk but will have a taste of the meat too. Then switch the baby food with the kitten wet food and ease off on the KMR until there is only wet food. Just be patient -- you are doing fine!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 11:23 PM

Try smearing some food on the top of his paws in the hopes that he will lick it off. Even the babies dislike stuff on their paws. It takes a while to get enough for a meal ingested that way though. But it gets everywhere. I shut me and the baby in the bathroom when we did this because the bathroom is easier to clean.

If this works, then try putting your finger with food on it next to his paw and get him to lick that. Then move the finger closer to a plate of food.

And maybe he just does not like the taste of something. My kittens would not eat the KMR at all. Hated it. Once I stopped mixing in the KMR they began eating much better. I just watered down canned kitten food to a soup consistency at first.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Min

I have a progress report. Howl is now eating and drinking out of a bowl. What I did is use a spoon to scoop some wet food into his mouth, and he would slurp and chew around on that for a while before swallowing it. After a while, he would take the wet food from the spoon, and then I put the spoon into the bowl, and he is now used to eating out of there. I put some milk into the other side (it's a 2-bowl in one), and he drank out of that. He makes a bit of a mess, but I know he'll get better at it.

The only problem now is the litterbox. I've put him in there multiple times, and he digs around on his own, but doesn't understand that it's supposed to be a potty yet. He's not big enough to climb into Mouse's big litterbox, or to climb out of it for that matter (he looks out, and tries to climb out, but it's too far down for him ), so I'm using a smaller box as a training box for now. It's very low to the ground, so he'll get used to going in and out of a litterbox. He dug around in there, too, but then tried eating the kittylitter Maybe more time will tell...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page