Cat Yearnings - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Cat Yearnings

My cat Tux was adopted from a local animal shelter, and was found as a stray, now that winter is over he is starting to get the yearning of getting outside and takes any advantage he can get, but as mentioned in the 'Cat Tails' part of the forum, where I posted the story about tux he is declawed, and I know that its generally a no-no with letting cats outdoor without their main defense, I have thought of getting a lease and taking them outside from time to time, but my mothers friend who is an experienced cat owner said that it would only make the cat want to be outdoors even more.

My question is, whats the best thing to do or if you were in this situation what would you decide to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:36 AM

i think you could take him outside if you supervised him out there.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

But wouldn't that make him want to go out even more?

Or...if I make it like something that happens like everyday at a certain time (I read that cats like schedules) and that way he wont run out because he knows that he'll get to go out later or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 01:36 AM

If you start taking a cat out be prepared to make it a habit as they will expect it! I had a cat that I yard trained (Not possible with every cat, or even most cats!). I took him out in the backyard only while I was out there and I followed him around. We had a good fence and he was the "scared of his own shadow type so never ran away, but I was paranoid so watched him at all times. But he came to expect that any time I went out the back door he was going out too... and if I was not prepared to wander around the yard after him for an hour we ended up with him hissing under a bush while I tried to get him back into the house. (Try telling your boss that you are late for work because you were fighting with your cat in the backyard! )

I think that if I were to take my cats out again I would try to train them that they FIRST get into a harness and leash inside and then we go out. But I am not sure that I will even do that, as it is a problem that once they get a taste of being outside they bug you to go out (and my three are all very happy inside and do not run at the door or beg to go out, not sure if I want to start that again!). So yeah, I think if you want to take him out then be prepared to make it a regular event!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page