Cat fight!!!! This is not good... **latest update** - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Cat fight!!!! This is not good... **latest update**

YIKES!! Just now Snickers and Pumpkin got into a terrible fight! No idea who or what started it. I think they both got spooked and just freaked out!

Now Snickers is hiding in the basement growling, and Pumpkin is all puffed out behind the couch. I had to separate them...they get grumpy sometimes, but nothing like this!!!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Banned

Maybe they'll have forgotten about it by tomorrow. But if not, you might have a case of redirected aggression on your hands. There's a thread here somewhere about that. Just search on those words. And google, too. Hope it's just a passing thing, though.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:24 PM

Lets hope they do forget it by tomorrow, cats are known for their long term memories of events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Unfortunately, it just happened again!!

Both cats started screeching and fighting. This time I saw Pumpkin doing the chasing but still don't know who started it. Snickers ended up with a slightly bloodied paw

Tim, I will try your suggestion and do a search for more info.

Just this morning I was thinking about how well they were all getting along...now I've had to separate them!! I'm keeping them apart for the rest of the day, just to be safe.

Everyone's fixed, so could hormones still be an issue? Or maybe there's a full moon tonight??

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

Not hormones. Probably something spooked one of the cats and took it out on the other cat. It's called "redirected aggression". It's one of those things that happens unpredictably. Nobody's fault.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Fighting? Hmmm. Listen to what Tim said. It doesn't sound normal to me.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Tim, using Google I did find some helpful advice. Thanks for providing the correct terminology for the search.

I'm posting the link for one useful site in case others need info:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/aggression3.html

It sounds like I'm going to have to essentially reintroduce them. Good grief!!

I just went through this process a few months ago! But, they are still very upset, as is the whole family. It seems to be the best way to restore peace. Poor babies.

I guess for tonight I'll be putting aside my research on Tourette's syndrome (again ). Time to brush up on animal behaviors!!

Thanks for the help and support.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned

Sorry about that, lymekaps. It's one of those things that comes out of the blue. One of those things I keep my fingers crossed and hope I don't have to deal with. I already have two that aren't friendly to each other, but at least they keep their spats short of someone actually getting hurt. Keep us posted on how things go, OK?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Will do, Tim. I really appreciate your help.

With all my cats hiding, it almost feels like they're not here. I miss their normal cheerful presence.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:06 AM

Lymekaps,
I am so sorry you are going through this with your kitties. I know how you feel since I am having the same problem with my 5 year old cats. It has been 1 month now, and I am making very slow progress, but at least it is progress. Yesterday they lasted 20 minutes near each other, but they are still very tense. They will not play, eat or be distracted when they are both out of the room. They just sit and stare at each other across the room. But I just keep talking softly to them and I have been going back and forth petting each and letting the other get their scent from my hands. Then I keep praising. It took 3 weeks for my aggressor to stop growling under the door at the victim cat, so at least it is getting slightly better. Good luck to you and keep up posted.

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page