How much do you pay for food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

How much do you pay for food?

I was talking to someone today about what I feed my guys.
I said what I feed isnt cheap rubbish, but it isnt the best either. When I told him the price he was amazed by it. (He is in america btw)

So this is what I pay, roughly converted into USD.

Dog food-
Beta puppy.
6.6pound bag costs 22.67 USD
I go thru 2 bags a month with wet food on top of that.
Wet dog food- 1 box a week
5.66 USD

Total- dog food monthly- 45.31 USD monthly for 1 dog.

Cat food-
Jameswelbeloved
11pound bag costs 32USD
The bag will last about 2 weeks with 5 cats.
1 box of wet food per week on top.
roughly 5.6 USD

Total cats food per month- 75USD monthly for 5 cats

Guinea pig/rabbit food-
22pound bag costs 28.31 USD
Lasts 2 weeks
Hay 8.85 usd per bag
lasts 1 week
Wood shavings lasts 1 month
1 bag costs 15.09 USD
Total- 107.11 usd

Total spendings roughly monthly on my animals= 227.11USD
Thats £120.23

On top of that are treats, toys and dog classes which i darent even go into.

EDIT
Missed wood shavings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:37 AM

WOW!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

And those foods arent the expensive ones either.
They are middle of the range foods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Cool Cat

Feeling like a miser, here...

Assumpta usually goes through about 8 cans of Wellness and/or Innova a month, at about $1.50/can, so about $12 (I usually buy 2-3 months' worth of food at a time). The smallest bag (2.5 pounds, I think) of Wellness Dry lasts me about 6 months, and costs about $10, so figure $1.70/month there. CET dental chews cost about $15/month (they're cheaper if you buy in the big 96-count bags)...so I spend around $29/month USD to feed Assumpta. She doesn't get any treats (other than the dental chews, which she adores). Usual feeding guidelines would call for twice the amount of canned food Assumpta gets, so if I went by those, I'd pay more like $40/month.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Cool Cat

Oh, no...Assumpta is the original piggy...a typical stray-with-food-issues. If given unlimited food, she'll eat until she throws up, and then start eating all over again. I've seen her polish off a 6 oz can of food in one sitting and still meow for more. I can't tell you how many times she's broken into latched cupboards, sealed tupperware containers, and bags of food so that she can eat more. If she ever learns to open the refrigerator and the canning jar that her canned food is stored in, we're all in trouble. As it is, I have to make a bedtime sweep of the counters to ensure that there is nothing yummy and that all the pans are washed, or else I'll come down in the morning to find little cat-tongue and paw tracks in the pans. All food is fair game to a cat with eating issues.

I'd have gladly given Assumpta "cat treats," but after the first 37 bags, boxes, and jars I bought (and that she refused to touch), we finally figured out that no cat treat can compare with the small piece of chicken off the human's plate...probably better for her, too.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudewife
we finally figured out that no cat treat can compare with the small piece of chicken off the human's plate...probably better for her, too.
Couldnt be any more true.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

noo no no
When I do a roast dinner on a sunday some chicken is put in their dishes, same for suki.
I dont see how having a bit of roast chicken once a week can hurt them, esp when all I do is wrap it in tin foil and put it in the oven.
My guys dont go anywhere near my dinner plate, they have been trained not to.
They dont get any other scraps, only meat bits.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Cool Cat

Well, we don't have any problem with the cat begging at table...not to say she doesn't do it, we just don't mind it. And even if I did, it wouldn't matter a bit, she'd do it anyhow (she came to us as a terrible food-moocher, and that wasn't a battle I thought worth fighting, compared to the other issues she had...I really think that sharing food with her actually helped us with some of her other problems by getting some trust and enjoyable interactions going...either way, it doesn't bother us).

My husband is a much softer touch than I am, so he gets the brunt of it. About once a year, Assumpta lucks out and gets a couple of Spaghetti-O's from my husband (I think they're disgusting, but I can't argue with his occasional junk-food jones). I figure that since all (or nearly all) my meat comes from animals that I've known on a first-name basis, and it's good enough for me, it's good enough for her, too. Actually, if I give her a bite of commercially-produced chicken or beef, she'll sniff it, look at me like "What is this crud?" and eat it grudgingly.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 01:15 PM

We spend about $70 on our four with dry food (they don't eat wet) and probably another $10 on treats. Then they get wysong dental powder which is another $10 a month. So $90 a month with four cats.

Plus another $70 on litter and toys
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:18 PM

Our 6.6# bag of Innova costs $15

We buy 2 to 3 of these a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page