cat fence - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

cat fence

Hi,

One of my cats was killed by a car, and one was hit by a car and luckely survived it. I don't want this to happen anymore, and want to install a cat fence for the garden. Does anyone has experience with cat fences? There seems to be 3 main systems:
invisible system (with an electrostatic chock)
electric fences
inclined nets that you can put on top of existing fences.

The invisible fence seems very interesting, but I have doubt if it works for a cat.
Does anyone has experience with these type of fences?

Regards,

Jurgen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Banned

No personal experience with any of your choices, so this is just a point of view, but I think the first two are not good choices for use with cats. They each involve causing physical distress to the cat, and frankly I don't even think a cat version is made for the invisible fence. I have read of the third choice, and that would be what I would suggest. Sorry about your loss.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:20 PM

I think that Invisible fences work fine for cats. Yes there is the initial stress from the shock but it's not enough to actually harm your cat. It's like spraying water in the face, just a different method to teach your cat good and bad behavious. Bad behaviour in this case is running out.

The only bad thing I have really heard of Invisible fences is that for animals that run VERY quickly (we're talking like a greyhound fast) it does nothing to stop them because they will run out and not even notice the initial shock and then feel it later when they slow down and get confused and mentally disturbed in that way. But like I said your cat would have to run EXTERMELY fast for them to miss that initial shock.

Good luck and I hope you get a lot more advice.

I sat in on an invisible fence sales when my boyfriends parent's were thinking of getting one BUT they do have a Whippet (smaller version of greyhound).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Banned

FYI: cats can do 30 mph.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Cat

They do make invisible fence type things for cats. I had one for awhile to block off the doggy door, but they really don't work very well at all. I think the inclined net would work best, that is what I'm planning on using soon.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
FYI: cats can do 30 mph.
yah they CAN doesn't mean that they DO once again it depends on the the individual cat.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

While I don't have any experience with any of the electric devices, I DO have personal experience with every other cat deterrent device, including some of my own invention, and I've concluded from that experience that devices that operate on a negative conditioning principal have a very low success rate with cats. Basically what that means with respect to keeping a cat within a confined area, is that the only practical means of 100% success is complete physical confinement.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:31 PM

Once again CATS are just as DIFFERENT as PEOPLE not everyone has the same experiances maybe you just happen to have supersonic cats.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:57 PM

i dont think tim's saying everyone has the same experience, i think he's letting people know what his experiences are cuz its helpful to know all sides of it. i think its helpful...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:16 PM

I would build an outdoor enclosure.....
Or keep them in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page