saving pics? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: do you mind if i save your cute photos?
no, not at all! 16 94.12%
yes, i do mind! 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

saving pics?

this is also posted in the 'meet my kitty' forum. i thought i would post it here, too, since more people will see it.

hi, i am an animal picture addict i have a file on my computer, the cuteness file, and i wanted to ask if people here mind me saving cute photos into the file? its just for me, i wont make money off them of anything if anyone does NOT want me to save their pics, please say so here. if i get alot of people saying 'its ok' ill start saving, so if you DONT want me to say so please i dont want to offend anyone. and if in general it is not ok, i wont save any. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Banned

I don't really know what the legal status is of pics posted here in the forum....been wondering that myself.....but I think just to avoid any problems along that line, and also to avoid any misunderstandings, in my opinion it's advisable to ask each member whose pic you want to download to your computer.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:25 PM

I figure that any picture I post to a website that can be accessed by anyone on the internet is fair game. Not that I have any great pictures, but I'm careful about what I post.

I'm curious as to what others think!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Banned

It is fine with me. If it is something that I truly am worried about, I can always watermark it and put a copyright notice on the photo. Also, if I am really that worried about having it printed, I will make sure the image I post at, say, 600x400, has a dpi of 200 or greater. My film photos are scanned at 1200dpi so that 600x400 image I post will only print out at .5x.3 inches!

But for the record, I hereby grant the use of all my photos posted on catforum dot com free of charge for unrestricted personal noncommercial uses.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 12:10 AM

I find it very odd that anyone who posts a picture on a public website would have a problem with that, how can you post something publically that is easy to save yet expect people not to? I think the law steps if you use it for anything other then personal use. You are sweet for asking, I wouldn't expect you not too if you wanted to save my pictures.

There is a thread that Vanillasugar made a screensaver slideshow of all our kitties. I don't think that offended anyone. You could use those pictures if you are concerned about what you are saving. She did a great job. I occasionally add pictures too it when someone posts a cute one.

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t ... creensaver
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I find it very odd that anyone who posts a picture on a public website would have a problem with that, how can you post something publically that is easy to save yet expect people not to?
that was kind of my reasoning, too, people save pictures off websites all the time. and i wouldnt use them for anything public or whatever, just so i can see them.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 02:03 AM

I don't know about the legality of it... but I don't see anything ethically wrong with downloading photos to your personal computer for your own use and enjoyment. As long as it isn't used in a commercial venture or published somewhere... it should be okay.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extier
I don't know about the legality of it... but I don't see anything ethically wrong with downloading photos to your personal computer for your own use and enjoyment. As long as it isn't used in a commercial venture or published somewhere... it should be okay.
I agree with Extier

And I don't take good pictures so I don't know why anyone would want mine anyways!! LOL
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
And I don't take good pictures so I don't know why anyone would want mine anyways!! LOL
aw, come on, its impossible to take a bad photo of a cat! i know from experience
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 08:17 AM

I was also going to post about the screensaver, but Samantha beat me to it. I don't think anyone had a problem when Vanillasugar downloaded them to make the screensaver, so as long as you are only using it for your personal enjoyment, I can't see a problem at all. We all put photos on the catforum expecting them to be looked at, seen as they are posted where everyone can see them, so what is the difference if someone saves them and looks at them some more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page