Cat drinks from my glass...OK? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cat drinks from my glass...OK?

I put a glass of water on the nightstand when I go to bed. George, the cat, comes in and starts drinking from it. Sometimes he drinks half the glass. I don't blame him, it's fresh water. Is there any sort of parasite I should worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:05 PM

you could use a water bottle instead, and just refill it with fresh water every night. thats what i do.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned

If you're worried about catching something from the cat, the parasite eggs come out the other end. That being said, maybe you'd be more comfortable if you had your cat tested just to make sure he's parasite-free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

He's been tested for the usual stuff. What about toxiplasmosis, or whatever it's called?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Re: Cat drinks from my glass...OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duodallas
I put a glass of water on the nightstand when I go to bed. George, the cat, comes in and starts drinking from it. Sometimes he drinks half the glass. I don't blame him, it's fresh water. Is there any sort of parasite I should worry about?
Yes! There are tons of parasites you can get.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:18 PM

Most adults won't be affected by toxoplasmosis. Young kids, elderly, and pregnant women (because of the baby) are the ones affected by that one.

I've never worried about my cats getting their germs on me. About the glass though, I did have one of my cats get her head stuck in my drinking glass one time. The water level was low and she stuck her head WAY in trying to get to the water. She ended up shaking her head to get the glass off which sent it crashing to the floor. I never leave unattended glassware around anymore.

Jennifer
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
Most adults won't be affected by toxoplasmosis. Young kids, elderly, and pregnant women (because of the baby) are the ones affected by that one.
And maybe people w/ weak immune systems too?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:22 PM

Oh yeah, them too
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:38 PM

I never worry about my little indoor kitties infecting me, but that being said - what about kissing their little muzzles - surely that would be as contagious as drinking from the same glass as the cat if there are parasites to pass on - and aren't most of us guilty of bestowing frequent kisses on the cats?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlikat
I never worry about my little indoor kitties infecting me, but that being said - what about kissing their little muzzles - surely that would be as contagious as drinking from the same glass as the cat if there are parasites to pass on - and aren't most of us guilty of bestowing frequent kisses on the cats?
Guilty here! We give kisses everywhere on our two guys. Some favorite places are on their paws, their foreheads, and tummies. Wittle even gives us kisses. He has gotten me up at 4:30 am by having his whole face in my * aparently open (from snoring?)* mouth. We have never suffered any ill effects. We will make sure their paws seem clean before they get any kisses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page