Bonkers - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Bonkers

This is a new post regarding the fate of the cat living at my sister's house.

Bonkers is her name, and she belonged to my nephew. He rarely took care of her, and only brought food, and gave it to her once in a while. He never scooped her litterbox either. My sister begged him and begged him to please take care of her, since he was the one that wanted her in the first place. My sister and her new husband are not cat people, and have 4 dogs, but they allowed him to keep the kitten if she was spayed(yes good) and declawed(she was but i never thought it was a good thing). She lived there for 3 years, and my sister kept offering me the cat because my nephew did not care for her properly, and they did not really want a cat.

Bonkers appareantly did not feel loved there, she had the worst attitude I have ever seen on a cat. She would bite for no reason, and seemed to hate all people and alll other pets. She could not scratch you because of the declaw, but she did try all the time. I was reluctant to take her, and i have 3 of my own. I did not think that she would get along with my 3 cats, she had such a bad attitude, I though that maybe she would get hurt by one of them. So I did not take her.

In an interesting turn of events that happened at my sisters house after they left for their honeymoon, Bonkers ended up getting a new home with my youngest sister and her family. This is how it happened:

My sister(the one that got married) had made the same offer to my other sister when they came up for the wedding. They were very interested in the cat, and were not put off by her attitude. My nephew got mad because I was in charge of keeping the house safe, and making sure that nothing got broken should he and his brother get into an all out brawl, which has happened (the last tiem was at christmas). So he yelled that anyone that wanted the cat could take her because the next day he was taking her to the pound. My sister tried to talk him out of this, and said that she was offered the cat by his mom, and she was just trying to help him out of a problem situation, since he could not care for her. He insisted he was taking her to the pound in the morning, so they took her back home with them that day. I gave them a carrier to help ease their trip, but she spent most of the trip looking out the back window of the van. Sometimes she would go in the carrier. It was a 4 hour drive for them to go home.

I feel really good that Bonkers got a great new home with my youngest sister and her kids, she has had a complete turn around in her behavior, and no longer acts the way she used to. She is the only cat living there and is the queen of the house. She does live with 3 dogs, but is used to that. She no longer according to my mom and yougest sister hisses at people, spits, or trys to tear you a knew one. She does not bite anymore either.
With them she gets all the attention that she never got befroe, and she has a bunch of new toys, and get fed everyday, and played with, and her litter gets cleaned. She could not be a happier cat, and I for one an so happy for her. I honestly believe that this cat knew she was not wanted, and now feels the love that my sister and her bf have for her and is willing to love them all back in return.

Bonkers has truely been blessed with a better life.
Sorry this was kinda long but it was the only way to tell what happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Cat Addict

It's amazing what a little love and affection will do for an animal's emotional state. Good for your sister and Bonkers!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 01:15 PM

aawwww I am glad to hear Bonkers has a good new home where she is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 09:59 PM

YAY!!! when i read 'fate' i was like 'oh no' cuz it sounded bad...lol. im so glad bonkers has a good home now! i cannot imagine why someone would neglect a kitty
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Premier Cat

Yay for Bonkers. And bless your sister for giving him a loving home. So glad you were a part of getting him to happiness!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

I could not understand it either, and when I was there I cleaned her box, and tied to give her attention but she did not want it. The overall feeling in the house was depressing for her I think.

My sister's new hubby says the only good cat is a dead one, so there you have it. I do not like his attitude but some people are like that. My sister says she has nothing against cats, but does not want them around. They do not come to my house often.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:03 AM

I get that same attitude FROM EVERYONE apart from people on this forum. I am taking two kittens in a couple of weeks, and honest to god, the amount of people telling me im mad, its got to the stage, I don’t bother telling anyone. It is even starting to worry me slightly. I don’t know a lot about cats, but am learning thank to this site, but everyone, from my family, husbands family, people in work, friends all keep telling me im mad getting cats. They said they are smelly, my house is going to smell, there is going to be hair everywhere, they will fight with one another, and it’ll be a hassle when I go away. There is not one person that tells me it’s a good idea
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Premier Cat

people love to run other peoples lives..

they have no idea bout cats and the cat community out there.. or for that point the whole pet community of animal lovers.. hang in there.. you will love your new additons and it wont be like the nay sayers are telling you.

BTW they are probably right about the cat hair.. but get a good vacume and wide tape to get it off your clothes.. bingo! not a problem.. how easy!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Cat Addict

Wow, Tracy, I would say they are all wrong! I'm going to be the first one to tell you that it IS a good idea to adopt these kitties.

Cats are one of the cleanest animals on the planet -- I don't know where they got that from? Sure, the litter box smells if you don't scoop it, but there are lots of solutions to keeping it from stinking up your house! Do you think there would be so many cat lovers if their house smelled?

There will be hair, but just like with a dog, you can help cut down on the hair by brushing daily or shaving your cats, if they are long hairs.

Unlike dogs, you CAN leave a cat for a few days (they may not be too happy, but you can leave them). With plenty of food and water and clean litter boxes, they will do fine home alone for the weekend.

Best of all, you are saving two lives!

These people giving you advice are ones that haven't spent enough time with a cat to know the benefits of having them! Welcome to the forum -- I'm sure you'll find alot of great info here!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Katie is exactly right in what she is saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page