$@!#&% dogs....... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
[email protected]!#&% dogs.......

And I'm normally such a nice, Christian girl...

I've had the windows open a lot recently (with sturdy, secure screens) and the cats absolutely love to watch the birds and squirrels that congregate at our feeders.

Just the other morning, the girls were sitting in the two open windows in my bedroom, and my dad and I were watching BBC-News. We have large, floor-to-ceiling windows in our livingroom, and out of the corner of my eye I saw something rather large in our backyard, running past the windows. Whatever it was, it had gone around the side of the house, so I went to the door to see what it was.

I saw our neighbors Schipperke (small, bloack dog) on our steps. I did not see their large German Shepherd mix standing in the walkway. The walkway which is right outside my windows. Rather, I heard this large brute of a dog bark loudly at the cats sitting in the window.

In just a split second I turn around to see Miko bolting from my room, hair on end, and running into my parents bedroom. My dad was already on his feet and out the door chasing the (still barking) dog. Scully was sitting in my window, also all puffed up, and growling, while Steph was cowering in my closet.

I was soooo mad

It took a good ten minutes for my poor babies to calm down (Miko manage to wriggle into my parents dresser and hid in there for awhile ), and it was days before they'd go near the window again.

Our neighbors don't really take care of their dogs (they don't take care of their kids ), and they're allowed to roam, but this is the first time they've come into our yard. It will not be a pretty sight if they do something like that again .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:28 AM

If the dog is in your yard again - call animal control or something. Maybe if they get fined for letting their dog out they'll think twice before doing it again.

I'm sorry your cats had to go through that - they don't need alien dogs barking at them - especially in their own home!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'm not one to want to call animal control on dogs who I KNOW have owners... if its a one or two time thing. But if you know they don't take care of them and the dogs are always roaming, I think a call is in order.

As much as I love dogs, I'll admit that there's a bit of a "pack mentality" that goes through their heads when they are free to roam in groups of two or more. More often than not, seeing a few dogs running around almost always spells trouble. Even some of the nicest family pets have been known to kill any small animal they can just for the fun of it.

I also know one of your cat's goes outside... its really possible that they could get a hold of it and... well a call to animal control is really a good idea.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Banned

The animal control officer used to live on our street, and I've dealt with her on more than one occasion. I highly doubt she'd so much as give them a warning , but I will at least make a call if they do something like that again. Roaming dogs are - unfortunately - very common around here
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:07 PM

sorry to disagree, but I don't see how you can be so angry, the dogs are just doing what dogs do! They can't do any harm to them if they are behind protective screens, so calling animal control seems a little dramatic. (although I live in uk and dogs are always roaming their patches) We let our cats out and have a little giggle when our next door neighbours dog who is TINY trys and succeeds in scaring our cats, they could really hurt him, they just don't know it yet! Although some owners keep their cats indoors, which is fine, it just cant be done with dogs, and contary to popular beliefe, dogs very rarely attack cats.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Just to clarify, I'm not mad at the dog for barking. I'm upset because the dogs a) were allowed to roam, and b) were on our property, right next to the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
Although some owners keep their cats indoors, which is fine, it just cant be done with dogs,
But the dogs can and should be walked on leashes, or kept in a fenced in yard. It's the law around here, it's just not enforced . I understand that there are definate cultural differences. I know in the UK it's a lot more common to let cats go outdoors, but here in many parts of the US, it's just not safe enough. Among some of the dangers that roaming dogs face, several have been hit and killed by cars (and even trains) right on our street. (no the trains aren't on our street, we're on a dead-end and the tracks are at the end of the road )

We've called Animal Control before because they (these particular dogs, and also others that live on our street) have: Attacked my dad as he was bicycling by, once nearly knocking him over. Chased my brother and sister in our own yard. Chased our cat (Beeper). Each time Animal Control did nothing, and we started keeping smooth, round pebbles in a pile near the steps

Quote:
and contary to popular beliefe, dogs very rarely attack cats.
Not true. Terriers are bred for high prey drives, and are frequently small-animal (aka cat) aggressive. There are many dogs that have high-prey drives, and will think nothing of chasing and attacking a cat.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:02 PM

I actually think Spamlet meant that here in the UK dogs have free roam of their private gardens, which the vast majority of UK homes have. I think he/she came across wrong to you guys because of the way he/she put it, but I understand!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Cool Cat

Emily...if you don't get anywhere with animal control, PM me and I'll see if I can dig up the phone number of the guy at the County Sheriff's Office who handles animal abuse/neglect cases; he might be able to at least light a fire under your local ACO, or if there's a serious neglect issue, he'd be the guy to call...but local ACO's can be a hassle to deal with...trust me, I know.

I've always worried about the neglected dogs owned by the guy at the end of our road. He's down to one dog now (whistles innocently), a Bullmastiff mix, but I still only allow Assumpta in the ground floor windows if I'm home (my living room and office windows are out of doggie reach, but the kitchen window is ground floor level). He is big enough to break through a window screen, and unpredictable (and hungry) enough to make me worry about it. He's charged my windows before when they were closed trying to get at the cat. I've already made it clear that if I see the dog on my property again, I am personally taking it to the shelter, no questions asked, and if I see him running deer on my property again, it'll be even worse. All my other neighbors have great dogs, and keep them either leashed, fenced, or supervised (the collie people don't leash their dogs for walks, but all three have perfect voice recall, good manners, and never go far anyhow), and even I understand that even good dogs occasionally decide to go for a "solo walkabout"...but when it becomes a recurrent problem, and dogs are on your property and unattanded, it's time to do something about it...so if you need that info, let me know and I'll scare it up for you. No excuse for dogs-at-large.

I've seen enough cats attacked by dogs to make me really, really careful with dog/cat situations, especially in territorial dogs or dogs with high prey drive like terriers and sighthounds (especially sighthounds, because they course without barking/warning and are actually fast enough to overtake and kill a fleeing cat...two sighthounds together can and will kill a cat if they get the chase switch flipped in their brain).

I don't blame you for being upset. I now carry pepper spray when I'm working in the woods because I never know when that Bullmastiff will show up or how he'll be acting. It sucks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:24 PM

Quote:
, and contary to popular beliefe, dogs very rarely attack cats.

Uuuuurrrrmmmmmmm......

I disagree....my cat Bosco was killed by a dog.

Regardless that isnt the point....the dogs need to be kept
on their own property!
I am not sure about in England...
but we have very strict leash laws in the US.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Yeah those dogs shouldn't be on YOUR poperty. I am sorry about the poor kitties. So sad. They should be fenced in. Dogs can attack cats. My dogs hate cat. And it's just in their drive so if the owners know they live by a cat-owned house to keep their dogs in a fenced in yard. You should call animal control again anyway.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page