Cat allergy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Cat allergy

I have been a sufferer of cat allergies all my life, but I love them so much I put up with the symptoms! But I know there has to be a better way to handle pet allergens.

Any advice on how to keep cat allergens down?

I know to wash bed sheets and blankets and to vacuum often.

How do you treat furniture?

Does brushing or combing make it better or worse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Since most allergies come from the dander left on their furr from grooming (its in the saliva) they make pet wipes that are supposed to help, but I think a few people have said they dont' make much of a difference.

Brushing seems like it should help (in theory) as well as keeping everything as clean and hair free as possible.

Are you on any medications? Since its going to be a long term thing (since they're your cats, not like you're just going to visit relatives with cats) I think talking to a doctor about long term medication may be a good idea.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:11 PM

This subject is very common and has been posted many times lately! I am surprized how many people own cats like myself who are allergic to them. Nice to know i am not the only one! Check out this thread or you can do your own search on allergies.

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t ... =allergies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Cat

I am very allergic to cats. I sneeze,my nose gets itchy, my eyes get red and itchy... it's a nightmare. I use an over the counter allergy medicine, for me it works better then what the allergy Dr. gave me. It took me a couple over the counter meds. before I found one that worked for me. But the one I am on now works almost instantly when I take it, so I only take it when my allergies start bothering me.. rather then living on taking a pill everyday. And you can tell by my siggy I have a lot of cats, lol.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Ah! I forgot about the handy dandy search feature on these forums!! Thank you!

I had to laugh - there are so many of you, who like me, suffer for the love of kitties.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving_My_Cats
I am very allergic to cats. I sneeze,my nose gets itchy, my eyes get red and itchy... it's a nightmare. I use an over the counter allergy medicine, for me it works better then what the allergy Dr. gave me. It took me a couple over the counter meds. before I found one that worked for me. But the one I am on now works almost instantly when I take it, so I only take it when my allergies start bothering me.. rather then living on taking a pill everyday. And you can tell by my siggy I have a lot of cats, lol.
What medicine did you find works for you?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving_My_Cats
What medicine did you find works for you?
Chlor-Tripolon is the one I am on now.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:34 PM

I am allergic to cats and I have two!! (just five months now) I don't get the sneezing/itchy eyes, but I get the wheezing and asthma. I have been experimenting with various meds under a doctor's care, and I think I finally have the right "cocktail". Flonase nasal spray, and Flovent, an inhaler. I feel WAY better, the wheezing has decreased dramatically.

At first I was on Singulair, but it didn't do a darn thing for me.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Cat bath wipes

I went and got some cat bath wipes from PetsMart. I don't think they were Allerpet brand but same sort of thing, before I tried to get him in a bath tub I wanted to try something else.

So I gave him a good brushing (he's a short hair, I don't think those wipes would work very well for long hair) and then wiped him down in the direction of the hair and against it to get closer to the skin. He wasn't phased at all. In fact I think he liked smelling so Spring Mountainy Fresh. (I think it smelled like a dryer sheet! ) Maybe it made him think of laying in warm laundry!

I am not sure if it really cut down on any dander but he sure does smell better and his fur is very soft and less oily and dusty. So even for that alone, I think they were worth it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:23 AM

There have been articles on the local and national news for the last 2 weeks regarding cat allergies, and a new treatment for them. I do not know what the treatment is, but you may want to ask your doctor about it since it has been in the news for the last two weeks. They say that it is the best treatment yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page