Introducing 2 cats tomorrow...Any Advice? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Introducing 2 cats tomorrow...Any Advice?

I have one 1-yr old cat and picked out another cat the same age from the humane society tonight that I'll be able to take home tomorrow. I'm going to work from home Wednesday so I can supervise them as they get acquainted.

Any suggestions from past experience you can share to make the transission from a one-kitty household to a two-kitty, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Katie, remember when we got new cats at the parents? Poor Ginger went through having to share the house with so many new cats. We never locked them up ever that I know of. We just let them do their natural thing. Anyways, I'm jelous and wish I could get another cat for Oliver. You guys getting your kitty tomorrow? Can I come over and see him? I get off work at 4:30.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. We have a guest room that could be a temporary home for the new cat if we won't be around to supervise. I think my turtle who lives in there now would be okay with the idea.

Heather - Yes you can come over tomorrow. If I'm unable to work from home the next day, we may wait until the weekend to pick up the new kitty, but I don't think it should be a problem.

Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Katie, it helps to put a drop of vanilla on the back of each cat's neck, so that they have the same scent. And I agree that a gradual introduction is usually better. Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Cool Cat

Everything is about scent when it comes to a cat. Let them get used to each others scent before they actually meet. Thay may help make for a smoother introduction. Be patient and don't force the issue and you'll be happier in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page