Keeping stray cat as a pet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Keeping stray cat as a pet

Before winter started a mother cat had 4 kittens and my roomate and I had put cat food outside so they could survive over winter. Recently I started to feed 1 of the cats tuna and what not and he would come up to our porch and eat from my hand. Although he was still very scared and if I moved to fast he would run. But today I left the door open because it was nice out and he came inside. He is inside now and I put milk and food for him to eat. I was just wondering if I should leave the door open and let him come in when he wants or just keep him inside becuase I want him as a pet. If i were to keep him as a pet what should I do?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Oh he's a sweetheart! If you want to keep him as a pet, there's nothing wrong with that! Every cat I've ever "owned" is a former stray that found me! Its probably safer for him to be kept inside (especially if you havn't neutered him, as he can get into fights, contract diseases, and also impregnate female cats, contributing to the overpopulation) and at the same time, he's safe from cars, mean neighbours and other outside dangers. It might take some time for him to really warm up to you, but take it slow, and at a pace he shows he's comfortable with, and you should have a lovely new pet cat on your hands! Congratulations!

Remember to get him into a vet as soon as you can for a checkup, shots etc, and depending on his age, to schedule a neuter

Oh, and just a side note, remember to keep fresh water out for him at all times, not milk. Most cats are actually lactose intolerant!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Banned

He is so cute!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:02 PM

He is adorable! I think that it is a great thing for you to keep him inside as a pet! It will probably save his life in the long run, what could be bad about that right? My cats are all rescues too. It might take him a couple months to adjust to being an inside kitty but if he made the move to come inside himself then I think he will settle down, he's begging to be a pet! young cats adjust pretty fast usually anyways! Best of luck and keep posting those adorable pictures! BTW, does the little guy have a name?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:09 PM

How adorable, he is so cute!

Three of mine have come from being strays. I say keep hime (purely from the selfish point that I want more photos) and the fact that he will be better off living with someone than on the streets.

Get him to a vet to be checked over and post lots of pics!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Two of my four cats were rescued strays, and the other two were very nearly strays, but I found their pregnant mom shortly before they were born. Strays make wonderful pets, I hope you're able to take this lil' guy in
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

I have to leave the door open and let him back outside tonight because another cat ran in with him that is older and way to afraid of people. But he has come in and out 3 times tonight so I am sure it wont be a problem getting him back in to stay. Do I need to worry about fleas or lice or anything like that since it will more than likely be a month or so until I can pick him up and bring him to the vet...
His name is Frank The Tank

and I dunno how the sidewalk unded up like that wierd
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Yes, fleas (and possibly lice or mites) are definately a concern. Scully was absolutely infested with them when I found her, but one treatment of Advantage took care of them all. In the meantime, just wash all the bedding and whatnot that he sleeps on, just in case

He's a real cutie, I think you've got yourself a keeper
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 12:38 PM

Once you get him in to stay for good I would set up a vet appointment right away. They can check for fleas, mites, worms, etc.

There is a good chance he may have fleas, but I believe fleas are dormant in the winter in cold areas, so maybe not.

Don't forget to get yourself a litterbox too
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 09:00 PM

Buy him a litter box. Buy scoopable litter + a scooper tool. Give him fresh water twice a day in a metal or ceramic bowl (plastic harbors bacteria). Feed him high quality wet & dry catfood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page