Stories of the Shelter... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Stories of the Shelter...

(Just call me Armistead Meowpin )

Well, I got a bit of good news today...

Cat Ballou: A few months ago, we got a grey DSH in as a stray, called Cat Ballou. She lived up to her name, as she is one of those cats who refuses to be ordered around. She'd happily sit for patting, but the minute you tried to move her in a certain direction, or hold her head for meds, she'd start spitting and snarling. My kind of cat. Anyhow, B kept getting URI's that never seemed to completely clear up, and no amount of treatment for bacterial infection got rid of her runny nose. Last week, she declined into critical condition, with green crud just pouring out of her nose (she literally turned an entire washcloth poisonous green between the call to the vet and getting her into the carrier), barely able to breathe. Turns out she had cryptococcosis (a fungal infection), requiring several months of uninterrupted (and expensive) meds, and the prognosis was that the infection stood a good chance of recurring later on. Last night, I went to update Petfinder and saw that someone had removed B from the shelter's main website (I am only in once a week, to clean and do pictures...the rest of the internet work I do here at home, so I rely on them to delete cats from the website between my weekly inventories). I was bummed, because the last I knew, B had been rushed to the vet critically ill (I didn't know about the fungal infection yet), so I figured I'd be doing a Rainbow Bridge post for her this afternoon, and wasn't looking forward to it. As it turns out, one of the employees at the vet's office took her home. I am very glad that she's got a home and someone who can take the best care of her.

The Amazing Wilson: A few weeks ago, we got a big group of surrendered cats in, including a little neutered male black DLH named Wilson. Wilson had a nasty attitude with both the humans and other cats. Well, last weekend, Wilson gave birth to a litter (no wonder he was in such a bad mood! ). No one saw it coming, not even the vet (Wilson showed no sign of pregnancy...or even being female, for that matter). Only 2 of the 3 kittens were born alive, and they were teeny, underdeveloped, and died in a matter of days. Now renamed Wilma, Wilson was bereft. Luckily for her, an abandoned litter of 3 kittens came in a day later...they were introduced to Wilson/Wilma, and she took to them immediately. Now she's busy being a very good Mom-kitty (especially for a neutered male!)

Not a bad bunch of news for one morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Tom Cat

awwwwwwwwww, so good to hear those stories

Angie
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 06:10 PM

what two adorable stories...
We also had a problem with the shelter thinking our little pom was a female... lol.. SHE was really a HE. Which we thought was really funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page