Wheres that stink coming from? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Wheres that stink coming from?

My name is Hayden and my cats name is Romeo. My cats kitty litter ( poop ) always seems to stink so bad.. even if i clean it frequently. If you have any advice please tell me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Banned

Hi Hayden!! Welcome to the forum!! What are you feeding Romeo?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Banned

Juliet_12, you mentioned in a pm that you feed Romeo Meow Mix because the person you got him from said he had to eat that or get "blood stones". I've never heard of such a thing, and I don't know what kind of illness they had in mind. But one thing I do know is that low quality food can definitely cause stinky poop. That has been mentioned over and over again by members of the forum. I would suggest that you consider feeding Romeo a better quality food. He should also be getting some good quality canned food, too. Try looking through the posts in the Health and Nutrition section for threads having to deal with cat food, and you can decide for yourself what you'd like to try. Make sure that if you decide to switch, you should switch on a gradual basis. Mix in just a little bit of the new food for a few days, then gradually increase the proportion a little bit at a time over a couple weeks.

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 03:02 PM

Sorry for stealing your post Juliet, but i have the same problem.... Pharoahs poop has been eally sour smelling lately, the past few weeks actually, and no change in diet, or litter. Any ideas as to why?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdyre
Sorry for stealing your post Juliet, but i have the same problem.... Pharoahs poop has been eally sour smelling lately, the past few weeks actually, and no change in diet, or litter. Any ideas as to why?
Stress? How is he w/ the new kitten?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Cat Addict

Have you added any baking soda to the litter? Sometimes that absorbs the smell.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Banned

Most vets and most of the members here recommend some wet food because it is thought that having that in their diet reduces the probability of contracting urinary tract disease.

Some also say that wet food is better nutritionally because it has a lower proportion of carbohydrates in the ingredients.

There's quite a bit of discussion on this topic in the Health and Nutrition section, but you have to wade through a lot of posts to find the relevant information.

I myself do feed both.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:29 AM

Smelly Cat Stuff

My cat "Rosco P Coltrane" is a long haired Exotic (basically a Persian) and he smelled HORRIBLE until a few months ago. We were feeding him (and his sister Daisy) Iams Kitten dry food. She was fine, but he is long haired and is a "messy eater" and likes to dip his flat face in the water bowl, eat, and repeat so many times his face gets "funky." Basically crumbs are stuck in his hair, it's impossible to keep this cats face clean. Low and behold... it smells really really bad. We just switched to Science Diet (I can hear the moan about the price now) and it is hands down the best thing we have done to combat his "stinkyness." For both our cats, the stuff coming out the other end does not smell as bad as it use too (I swear you could smell it downstairs when their litter box was upstairs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page