how long does it take a cat to know its namee - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

how long does it take a cat to know its namee

its been a year and my cat still does not know his name, is there a reason why or can i have any suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 02:52 PM

Maybe he's jsut *pretending* not to know his name... lol.

A cat won't answer you if they don't want to. Pharoah used to look and even come when he was called, but lately it has no effect on him.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Cool Cat

Cats recognize the tone and pitch of your voice when you say their name more than recognizing the actual word. Most of us get higher pitched when we call the kitties names, right? They also recognize certain sounds more than the whole word, i.e.: Skeeter recognizes the "S" sound, and I can really call him anything that starts with S and is two syllables and he'd answer.

So, as long as you call your cat the same thing, he'll recognize that THAT's the sound you make when you want him to come.

Now, whether or not he WANTS to come right then is up to him. Unless there's food involved, it's pretty much out of your favor that he'll concern himself with you.

Also, cats respond better to names that are two syllables and/or names that have an "EEE" sound in them (again, b/c of the higher pitch when you make the "EEE" sound). What's your boy's name?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

cat name

my cat name is kai (kie)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 06:18 PM

Your cat won't automatically know his name unless you train him. There's even less desire on his part to come when called unless you give him a reason.

Took about a month for my cats to know their names, then come when called. It took some time of consistent training and rewards to get there. Whenever I petted them, I'd say their name to them; I'd look at them and say their name; at mealtimes I'd call their names, etc. I had treats all over the house, and at different times, I'd just call one of them, and when kitty came, I'd give a treat to him/her.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 07:05 PM

And just because he does not come over to you does not mean he does not know his name. Call his name and look for a small reaction, like a tail thump or glance. That means he knows you are talking to him and not the TV.

I taught my furry ones to come just like Superkitties did. It takes patience. And treats. However, it would have been easier if their names did not sound similar. Squirrel and Schnitzel. But by the time I figured that one out it was too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page