How to prepare for a litter? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
3am

How to prepare for a litter?

One of my cats is expecting her first litter and ours. How do we prepare, do we leave to it or keep her in a room with a comfortable bed, water/milk, food & toys? What do we do when they're born do we leave them to it or do we see the vet?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Has your kitty seen a vet through any of her pregnancy? It might be a good idea to bring her in before she has them, just in case they think she'll have a problem delivering or anything.

Usually a vet visit isn't necessary right after their born, but you'll want to bring them in after a little while to make sure they're all healthy.

Also, you mention leaving her in a room with water/milk. A lot of people give their cats milk thinking its good for them, but its not. Most cats are lactose intolerant and water is really plenty for her to drink.

And if this is her first litter, will it be her only? I'm not going to go on and on about the benefits of spaying and neutering as well as the massive numbers of homeless animals... but just be prepared that someone else will.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
3am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
Has your kitty seen a vet through any of her pregnancy? It might be a good idea to bring her in before she has them, just in case they think she'll have a problem delivering or anything.

Usually a vet visit isn't necessary right after their born, but you'll want to bring them in after a little while to make sure they're all healthy.

Also, you mention leaving her in a room with water/milk. A lot of people give their cats milk thinking its good for them, but its not. Most cats are lactose intolerant and water is really plenty for her to drink.

And if this is her first litter, will it be her only? I'm not going to go on and on about the benefits of spaying and neutering as well as the massive numbers of homeless animals... but just be prepared that someone else will.

Thanks, yes she has she went in for some gunked up eyes and he mentioned that she should be okay and to see him later as the birth grows neared. I am going to go in next week. They love soy milk, I try to make it a special treat and they usually have water since shes going to have birth I think she'll like it.
It will be her first and last, we're hoping to spread the kittens out between family members who already have cats and now how to care for them and has expressed interest in the litter.
Thanks so much for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 05:44 PM

I've had 2 birthing experiences, with 2 seperate cats. All I did was put a good sized box (about 2 ft. by 3 ft.) and about 10 to 12 inches high, lined it with towels & I set it in a spare bedroom in a little used closet. I closed the door 1/2 way. I did this a couple of weeks before the birth so momma would have time to "discover" it. Both cats choose it as a perfect place to have their kits (they seem to like the dark & safety of the closet). Beyond this I really didn't have to do anything special.

Warning: Both cats had 5 kits each but unfortunately both lost a kitten. In both instances a kitten had managed to crawl in back of its momma & she accidentally smothered the kit to death.

Also, mother cats are fiercely protective of their brood. If she feels at all threatened by the presence of another cat, she will attack. I wasn't there to see it, but my Lady girl was severely bitten & a big chunk of her hide was torn by one of the mommas.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 PM

I used a computer box to make a nest box. It was about 2ft high, but I cut a U shaped door at about momma-cats chin height. She could jump in and out easliy but the babies could not get out until they were about 4 weeks old. I took off the top but used clothes pins to secure a towel in the top. This gave me easy access if I needed it but it feels like a cave to momma-cat.

Since I did not have an extra closet, I slid the box under the computer desk in a spare bedroom to make it even more out of the way. Momma cat must have liked it becuase she never moved the babies once. When labor started she had the first one outside the covered litter box (it must have looked like a good cave to her). I quickly moved her and baby to the nest box and she had rest right there no problem.

Before the delivery I lined the box with unscented puppy training pads over folded towels. They were very easy to remove once the messy part was over without disburbing the new family.

I did leave mom's litter box and food in another room. I figured in the wild she would leave the nest to hunt so walking to another room should be OK.

But a friend left her underwear drawer open one day and returned home to find her cat had her babies there. I was amazed at how relatively clean the process was. But there will be a mess that you probably do not want to try and get out of nice upholstry or carpet. You might consider confining momma to the proper room when deliver time gets near to encourage her to use the area you designate.

And enjoy the babies. Watching them grow is soo much fun. Once they get hit 4-5 weeks and begin exploring and playing it is so much fun to watch!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:00 PM

And if you do not have a electronic kitchen scale consider getting one. On scales that have the little needle would have been very hard to get an accurate weight. They weighed about 120-130 grams at birth. I just used the metric setting on mine because the math was easier than doing the fractions that show up for ounces.

My vet told me it was important to weigh the babies every couple days to ensure they were growing. That is the best indicator they are healthy. They should double their birth weight in the first week.

I found it was easier to track the weight changes in grams because they only gained about 10-20 grams per day.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
3am

Oh! My cat gave birth today to two kittens - but one of them died at birth but we have a beautiful boy called "Boris". She gave birth while I was getting ready for work so I had to take my two cats and the kitten to my neighbour who is a breeder. I'm so worried about them and can't stop thinking about them. I can't wait to get home tonight so I can make the kitten feel at home. I'll take photos for you.
My other cat feels more concerned about the kitten is guarding it, the mother cat strangely went off to rest after birth but joined the kitten before I left. I took both round since Boris's aunt is acting like his mid-wife.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 06:38 AM

Congrats! Sorry about the other kitten though
Are you going to keep Boris?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
3am

Just a little update, Boris died while I was work. It seems he was premature according to the vet. BUT today my other cat had three kittens, that are simply great. I'll take photos of them, they're in pefect health.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Banned

I'm so sorry . Glad to hear about the new kittens though, congrats .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page