Kitty rat killer - need advice health concerns ! URGENT![ - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Kitty rat killer - need advice health concerns ! URGENT![

Hi,
i have 4 cats one of my cats is a killer of anything! His forte is RATS! ive moved two (by shovel!) in 3 days.I live near fields but also there is a run down council estate being demolished just down the road and i know they are riddled with them (sewer rats) they are currently laying down poison.
*I am worried firstly can my cat catch desease such as weils etc???? also can it be transmitted to us through him????
*The rats are being poisioned , can my cat die if he eats a rat that has been poisioned???

Anyone that can help answer these questions?? i am very concerned as wild rats are dirty ,My cat is fully inoculated , wormed also i use Frontline every 4 weeks (flea, lice and tick).Ironically he is a white persian but a proper Minger, he looks really posh but is a typical alley cat , in bins etc.He has been bringing bats home also .I have pulled HUGE fleas of him! but i know he is protected with prescription frontline.I suppose the fleas are off the Rats .Can anyone help with these health conserns i cannot keep him locked in the house all day to prevent him going out it is unkind .We moved here over a year ago so he always been out and to stop letting him out would be unfair but these RATS are Filthy and HUGE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Cat Addict

Rat poison will surely kill your cats if they eat it. No doubt about that. Perhaps you can keep them inside until the construction is done?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

The council estae is about 10 minutes away but we have fields all over so im not sure as to wher he is getting them from but he is use to going out and the construction side will take over a year apparently as they are also rebuilding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Cat Addict

Still, the best advice I can give you is to keep them inside. You can take them for walks on leashes if they'll allow it or build them an outdoor enclosure that lets them outside, but keeps them away from the inherent danger of the outdoors.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

thanks
i will give the vet a ring , my other 3 cats hardly go out but he is a nightmare to keep in , hes a bit wild also so i could not walk on a leash.He has to be sedated at the vets for any treatment.He is ok with me handling him but i adopted him so he is so use to going out.Im just worried as i said as Wild Rats are dirty.It amazes me how he catches and kills them as he is pure white with an extra loud bell on - so sticks out like a sore thumb.He has even brought bats home -but they dont bother me .The rats are huge! fill the shovel!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:32 PM

I agree with Annissa that if you are really concerned try to keep him indoors or maybe if you have a large garage that he could roam in?

If you have the time the Outdoor cat enclosure seems to be a great thing so they can go out yet still be safe, the only worry I have about that is that maybe the rats could still get in.

My BF's family had a similar problem, a house on their block was being torn down and was infested with rats so everyone's houses had rat issues for a while.

It's not a fun or easy thing to deal with good luck!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 03:00 PM

I agree with what has been said. Rat poison, whether ingested directly by your cat, or from a rat that has ingested it, will kill your cat.

Large wild rat populations are commonly infected with Leptospirosis. It cannot infect cats, but it can infect dogs and then be passed to humans, via urine.

Also, what area are you from? If you are outside the UK, I hope your cat is vaccinated against rabies, as bats are common carriers.

Ems
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 04:55 PM

If you absolutely cannot keep him away from the rat population, as you seem to be saying, then I would just make it a lot harder for him to kill rats. Buy a bunch of extra bells and put them on his collar so that the rats will get extra warning and hopefully run away? *clueless otherwise*

Otherwise, if you really can't keep him in or build him an enclosure, then there really isn't anything you can do to protect him from this stuff. So the reality is -- he is exposed to many deadly factors and he might die from them.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies i have posted on a rat fanciers forum - no one better to ask than a rat expert anyway they have told me that weils disease is not transferable to cats! also rats are poisioned with warfarin which of course is able to be taken by humans.Apparently the Rats digest it then they die and there would not be enough left to kill a cat so its made me feel a lot better !
obviously weils disease is dangerous to humans so i never handle the dead rats mearly shovel them up.
What they did say is that wild rats are very powerful so i am curious to know why he catches them! and how! anyway i cannot keep him locked in the house however i feel a lot better now so thanks for all the replies.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 05:12 PM

No, the Warfarin won't harm you, but it really can and will harm your cat if ingested, whether directly or in a dead rat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page