clever cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

clever cat?

can you get smarter cats than others for example my friends cat knows to twist the door knob and pull, to open the door. whilst other cats cannot do simple tasks. is there anyway you can mentaly stimulate cats, to help them become smarter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Banned

I don't think you can increase a cat's IQ, same as you can't increase a human's IQ....that's something set by whatever "smartness" genes they inherited. However, you can develop what they have by exercising their intellect. Cats need mental stimulation and benefit from it, same as people.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 05:13 PM

You can train cats with Clickers there is a thread here where someone was talking about how their training was going and some other members use this also. It's mostly basic commands, roll over, kiss, shake, stay, sit, lie down, etc.

I think cat IQ and willingness really depend on the cat. My last cat did nothing but keep you company and fetch. Oh and she asked permission before jumping on things ~mew~ pause ~MEOW~ jump

My Kilala fetches, tries to open doors but he has furry paw pads so he slips, he will open closets (sliding doors) for no reason just attention, he talks back to everyone as if normal conversation, insitgates chases and can turn off switch lights ( finally trained him with the laser pointer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:34 PM

i had a friend tell me that cats arent too hard to train.for instance i heard to get a cat to use the toilet instead of the box you put seran rap over the toilet and put litter in the middle.then slowly take it away lil by lil.then you remove the rap totally and there suppose to use the toilet with no problem
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

Well, it's a LITTLE more complicated than that. Kitty's Mom conveniently made a list of the threads about this topic and here it is:
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=151274#151274
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 09:00 PM

it sure isnt easy but some one just told me that it was something like that
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 01:06 PM

my sally can open the drawer under the bed!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:10 AM

i think cats are wonderfuly smart, and can be taught quite alot of 'tricks'. but most important, your cat must WANT to do it. treats would help there, as rewards. but i've learned many times over, if a cat doesnt want to do it, thats that
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:
but most important, your cat must WANT to do it
That's one of the most basics. If the cat isn't interested, nothing can make her do it

By the way, speaking of cat IQ, isn't it interesting how cats can be incredibly smart on one thing and utterly stupid in the next? Our little Xena, 2yr old Turkish Van, knows many tricks and sometimes it feels as if she can read our mind. But put her in front of an almost closed door, and it might be so that she'll try to open it by pulling her paw on the wrong direction!

Cats are so funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page