What are "Farm Cats" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

What are "Farm Cats"

I spoke to the people who I adopted my Maine Coons from today and the lady said, "oh yes those two are farm cats." i don't know what that means but I did a Google search and it seemed to imply that farm cats are feral cats and often can't be socialized. Is this true? I was led to believe that what I was getting was domestic pets who would eventually be able to interact with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
have you met the cats? Sometimes a "farm cat" is one meant to live outside and have shelter in a farm/stable type environment. Many are as friendly as can be, just won't tolerate living indoors... some are too feral to even approach... so it can mean a variety of things.

I would hope that if these two cats are actually feral or cannot live indoors, you will have the option of not adopting them. I personally can't see adopting (or even purchasing) a pet that I had never met face to face...

I think you should talk to the woman and have her explain in detail the personalities of the cats, as well as where they are living now and how they do in the environment. Explain to her what sort of pet YOU are looking for and make sure everything matches up. It'd be a shame to come home with something you really aren't expecting.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:09 AM

Well mine were farm cats. Meaning they came from a farm. They were kittens (about 7 weeks) so I never had any problems. The adult cats on the farm were all people friendly but they were outdoor only cats, so I'm not sure how they would've taken to be suddenly indoor cats.
Yours are only 8 months right? With some time and patience they should come around.
Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
have you met the cats? Sometimes a "farm cat" is one meant to live outside and have shelter in a farm/stable type environment. Many are as friendly as can be, just won't tolerate living indoors... some are too feral to even approach... so it can mean a variety of things.

I would hope that if these two cats are actually feral or cannot live indoors, you will have the option of not adopting them. I personally can't see adopting (or even purchasing) a pet that I had never met face to face...

I think you should talk to the woman and have her explain in detail the personalities of the cats, as well as where they are living now and how they do in the environment. Explain to her what sort of pet YOU are looking for and make sure everything matches up. It'd be a shame to come home with something you really aren't expecting.
I already adopted them. At the rescue place they told me that the cats were just shy but that they were sweet and loving given time. It is only now that I already have them that I find out that they are "farm cats". This might explain why one of them not only won't let me touch him but runs really fast out of a room whenever I enter the room. I'm not very experienced with cats and I really wish I'd gotten cats that were a bit more happy with humans. These guys just came from a foster home I think. I think if it really doesn't work out I could return them to the shelter but to be honest there is NO WAY I could even catch them to put them in their carrier. I feel kind of miserable.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
Well mine were farm cats. Meaning they came from a farm. They were kittens (about 7 weeks) so I never had any problems. The adult cats on the farm were all people friendly but they were outdoor only cats, so I'm not sure how they would've taken to be suddenly indoor cats.
Yours are only 8 months right? With some time and patience they should come around.
Jennifer
Yeah they are 8 months. Is that young enough to get them used to people? If you have any tips about how to gently coax them into being more people and indoors friendly I would really really appreciate it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:28 AM

Sorry every cat I've ever had has been a kitten.
I'd give them some time. I think you just recently adopted them right? So, they're having to adjust to a new place and people all at once. That can take some time. My parents did adopt an adult cat once that hid in the rafters in the basement for the first few weeks. He'd slowly start coming out at night to investigate when people were sleeping. Once he adjusted to his surroundings he was really friendly. Even my cats get freaked out and won't let me pet them when I've moved a few times since I've had them, but in a few days they settle down.

I'd suggest just ignoring them for a while and let them warm up to you-don't force it.

I think you're success will depend on whether they are truely ferals or just freaked out in their current situation.

Jennifer
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:31 AM

If I'm reading your other post correctly, you just got them today right?
I think they just need time to adjust. Don't force it, let them explore in their own time. They'll probably creep out to investigate and eat while your sleeping.

Jennifer
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
Sorry every cat I've ever had has been a kitten.
I'd give them some time. I think you just recently adopted them right? So, they're having to adjust to a new place and people all at once. That can take some time. My parents did adopt an adult cat once that hid in the rafters in the basement for the first few weeks. He'd slowly start coming out at night to investigate when people were sleeping. Once he adjusted to his surroundings he was really friendly. Even my cats get freaked out and won't let me pet them when I've moved a few times since I've had them, but in a few days they settle down.

I'd suggest just ignoring them for a while and let them warm up to you-don't force it.

I think you're success will depend on whether they are truely ferals or just freaked out in their current situation.

Jennifer
Thanks. If they are ferals, they won't attack me will they? Like, if by mistake I annoy them or something?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mainecoons
Thanks. If they are ferals, they won't attack me will they? Like, if by mistake I annoy them or something?
Again, I don't have any experience with true ferals. I would suggest that you not corner them! But no I don't think they'll attack unless they feel threatened.

Jennifer
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:48 AM

at 8 months I don't think you have too much to worry about I think they just need time to adjust and on their own they will come to you and they understand what it's you feeding them, changing litter and changing fresh water so they will definately appreciate you some sense.\

A lot of cats tend to hide usually when put in new enviroments. My fist cat didn't come out for days but I knew she was eating because of the poop in the litter and food an water missing. My cat now acted like he owned the house the minute I let him out.

Search around and you can find lot's of help in previous threads about introducing cats to a new enviroment.

GOOD LUCKY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page