Please help-sick smell - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
mnm

Please help-sick smell

Hi,
We just adopted a 2year old male short hair from our local shelter. When Mittens first came in out to meet us, I could smell this awful smell....like...sorry....no other way to say this.......pus. No one else (husband, 5 yr old daughter, shelter worker said they smelled it.) Well thats the Cat my daughter fell in love with. Now I am beside myself with emotion, I can smell this awful smell, on the furniture, my daughters blankets. Took Mittens to the Vet today. They said could be the anul glands. But there is not much they can do. Please, please please is there anyone who has had experiance with this. Mittens is a wonderful cat, great with my daughter, I am just having huge regrets. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Banned

I'm sorry to hear this. Normally cats don't smell hardly at all, so certainly something isn't right. I would take the cat to a different vet and find out what's wrong.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 09:07 PM
Cat Addict

Could one of your cats be spraying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Banned

It sounded to me like the cat itself was the source of the smell. And the vet saying "it could be anal glands" is pretty ridiculous. That's a pretty pungent and distinctive smell. Certainly a vet would recognize that. Also a cursory exam of the anal glands would determine if that's the problem. It just doesn't sound like this vet either knows anything, or wants to do anything.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
As Tim said, saying "it could be anal glands" and not doing anything to find out for sure is pretty slack. Plus, they don't smell like pus... to be honest, they smell AWFUL!

Have you tried giving him a bath? Or if he won't cooperate, taking him somewhere that will give him a bath? Its very possible that you just have a very acute sense of smell and something about him is bothering you... so you should really try to figure out a solution to the problem quickly.

I think a different vet is in order. Did the first one even mention if he smelled anything at all?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:53 PM

Why didnt your vet EXPRESS the cats anal glands???
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:00 AM

I would try a bath and definitly another vet!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page