Guilty and sad that I simply couldn't help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Guilty and sad that I simply couldn't help

Dear Readers,

The most horrible thing happened today. I was driving home and came across a multi-colored cat laying in the middle of the road. My first impression was it must have been dead from being hit by a car.

As I got closer to the animal I noticed it actually moved its head a little to look at my passing car. I know this was very wrong... but I made myself keep going. I knew that I could simply not take the heart ache of getting out to see the injured animal.... and unfortunately I would not have the financial resources to help the animal even if I did.

What I did do though was immediately call the police to ask that the local humane society be sent immediately as the animal was still alive and needing help. I feel so guilty that I could not get out of my car to simply move the animal or comfort it. Although the animal did not appear to have blood or anything around him... I simply couldn't be sure of the injuries. For all I know his other side could have been awful. And I know that I could not have simply moved him and then walked away.

I know that no animal deserves to be left alone in a time like that. I certainly would not want to be alone. I cried all the way home, wishing I had had the courage to do more. I keep trying to tell myself maybe he was just laying in the middle of the road for no reason... but my heart tells me different. I can only hope the humane society made it there quickly. Did I do all I possibly could or do I simply deserve the guilt and heart ache I feel now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:05 AM
Banned

Well you could always call the humane society to find out if he is alright. Don't worry about it. You did the right thing in calling them, what more could you have done?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Cat Addict

I don't know if I would've been able to stop either -- I can't handle seeing an injured animal. You did the right thing...you probably saved its life. Most people would've just driven right by it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

You made me feel a little better. I was still sitting here crying.
I am pretty sure if the humane society found him he's euthanized. The poor thing looked for sure as if it couldn't move. Even if so, he's out of misery.

To be honest... I think I'll feel 10 times worse if I find out they didn't get to him. I just simply have the guts for nothing So I know I won't call.

I just wanted to know if I've been a horrible person for doing that. Thank you for some encouraging words at a difficult time. I just wish I could have given some encouraging words to the poor cat. But thanks for saying you couldn't do it either. I thought I was being crazy.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:57 AM

That was very kind of you to make sure to call the authorities to get help for the poor kitty.

I was in a similar situation: Once I was driving with some people from work in the car, and we were on this main road, and all teh sudden i saw this cat in the middle of the road. It was clearly in a lot of pain, it was breathing really labored with its chest heaving up and down. I was so upset and shaken by the sight of it. I wasn't sure if I shoudl stop and do anything, especially since I was pretty sure I saw an animal hopsital down that road. But when I looked back, I saw someone else had stopped and was trying to pick the cat up and get it help. I felt relieved that someone else had taken care of this cat (who knows if it made it or not), because I don't think I could have handled it.

Please don't feel bad, you definitely did the right thing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Premier Cat

You cared and you called the police. That is a lot more than most people would do.
I would have a horrible time with something like that too, I think we all would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page