Securing the Kitty-Carrier in the car? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Securing the Kitty-Carrier in the car?

I was wondering how you guys secure your kitty-carrier when you are traveling with your cat. I usually just put it on the passenger seat next to me, with the opening facing me so Kiera can see that I'm there the whole time.

However, just on Sunday I was dropping my fiancee off in the Bronx after our weekend of wedding-hall searching. After I turned off his road to head back towards the highway, I was going down a street that basically had a bunch of traffic lights in a row. Basically, i looked ahead and saw row-after-row-after-row of green lights. But then all the sudden I looked up and saw that the ONE light in front of me was red. I FREAKED out, and slammed on the break. I was able to stop (screetchy tires and all), but I was kinda in the middle of the intersection. I was SOOOO lucky that nobody was coming in the other direction, because that would have definitely been a really bad accident. I pulled over, and had to compose myself because I was really shaken by it. It scared me that I could be 100% alert, but completely miss a red-light! I'm a pretty good driver, i've never so much as been pulled over before.

Anyways, when I hit the brake as hard as I did, Kiera's carrier (containing a sleeping Kiera!), went flying forward and tumbled into the floor of the car in front of the passenger seat. Kiera was absolutely fine (I have towels padding the inside of the carrier), but she was definitely shaken up. When I put it back on the seat, she curled up in the far side of the carrier, as far away as she could get from the opening of the carrier. I felt sooooo unbelievably awful about the whole thing; You have no idea. Anyways, by the end of the ride (another 45 minutes to an hour in the car), we arrived home on Long Island, and I looked and Kiera was fast asleep with her nose pressed against the metal door of the carrier. She definitely forgave me.

So yeah, how do you guys do it? Do you buckle it in with the seatbelt somehow? Do they make special devices for it? Or do you just pray that you don't get into an accident with your kitty in the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Cat Addict

When I travel alone with the cats, I put them in the front seat just like you do. I wrap the seatbelt through the top handle of the carrier and bring it around and buckle them in. I learned that I had to do buckle them in way like you did... except replace sudden red light with a deer in the road.

I'll do the same if I put them in the back seat, unless we're travelling heavy and they're secure just because there's a lot of stuff on both sides of the cage.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Banned

With one carrier, I put it sideways on the front seat and wrap and buckle the seat belt and shoulder strap around it. With two carriers, I put them in the back, sideways, on the floor between the back seat and the front seat. (that only works if you don't have a driveshaft hump and there's enough leg room....otherwise, I would put them on the seat and fasten the seatbelt around).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Cool Cat

i have a hard carrier that's a basket style and what i do is i wrap the seatbelt in the top groove of the basket right where the handles are molded, and the bottom around the bottom of the basket, and pull the belt as hard as possible - this secures the basket to the seat, and it doesn't move no matter how much i push/pull it

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Banned

That's an interesting-looking carrier....never seen that before....may I ask where you got it? Thanks....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:46 AM

I have a carrier that is buckles in to the seatbelt in the backseat. Then when I get to where I am going I take Elliott out and put her in her soft carrier. She does not like the hard carrier, so I try not keep her in the hard carrier too long.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
That's an interesting-looking carrier....never seen that before....may I ask where you got it? Thanks....
i bought mine from www.cattoys.com

http://www.cattoys.com/cuncapetba.html
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:26 PM

I usually use a Samsonite soft carrier if I'm not going far, and it has a space at the back to slide a seatbelt through. For longer trips, I use a Petmate carrier that has a little slot at the top to slide the seatbelt into to secure it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:20 PM

I put my carrier on the floor in front of the seat - minimum moving around, warm and secure. I know someone whose cat broke his jaw when his carrier fell off a seat.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 05:17 PM

I buckle. I take the buckle through the handle and down the side. I have to pull the belt all the way out to do this then once buckled I let it tighten back. The girls ride in the backseat facing each other and in a small coupe they are kinda wedged in the bucket seats and couldn't go very far anyways as the front seats are so close in front of them! I am a paranoid kitty mommy now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page