Newbie Looking to Adopt - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Newbie Looking to Adopt

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and so far I really like this community. I've previously owned a cat and when he died a few years ago, it left me feeling pretty empty. I haven't been able to adopt another cat since I've been living on a college campus but now that I'm moving to an apartment, I can't wait to have a cat!

Since it's been a few years since I took care of a cat, I'd really like to brush up on common care tips, advice on choosing a litter box, etc. Does anyone know of any sites that provide comprehensive information on bringing a cat into your life? I'm planning to purchase a book from amazon that provides basic info but I'm mainly having trouble deciding on a litter box and a pet carrier. I came across the Smart Cat Box which sounds like it might be a good choice but I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with it? I was also considering the Omega Self-Cleaning litter box.

Also, I've been looking into Sherpa bags becuase they seem to be pretty good quality but I noticed that many of you prefer hard carrying cases for your cats. Is there any particular reason why you would recommend the hard carriers to the Sherpa ones?

Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 02:04 AM
Premier Cat

Welcome to cat forum. I use to lived in Tallahassee ~ for 21 yrs.
You will learn alot of Cat Forum.. keep reading and you will get your questions answered.

I rarely use a pet carrier so I have an old fashion plastic one.. I just have a covered litter box and use clumping litter & add the arm and hammer powder to it.. Have you decided on what food you want to feed your new cat? Post pictures when you get your kitty. Are you going to adopt one from a rescue? Again Welcome!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:47 AM

Welcome to the forum. I am not sure of any sites, but people here will answers any questions you have.

I think the type of carrier depends on your cat. I have a soft carrier because Elliott freaks out when I put her in the hard carrier. She was biting and clawing at the bars so much she made herself bleed. Some cats may not be comfortable in a soft carrier, but some may not be comfortable in a hard carrier- you will just have to see what works best for your cat. I like the soft better because it is easier and more comfortable to carry them in.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Banned

Cats have their own preferences, so no matter what you get, it might turn out you have to get something different to keep your cat happy!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Well, I was looking into adopting from local shelters. Though the only problem is that while my apartment complex allows pets, like a few of you mentioned in prior posts, there is a heavy non-refundable deposit and an additional $25 a month for having one. When speaking to some of the staff in the office, they advised me to basically not tell them since they will only enter my apartment with prior consent. Because I can't let the office know about it, it seems like it will be difficult to adopt because all of the applications ask for landlord's name and phone #. I am prepared to pay whatever fees in order to keep my future kitty but I'd like to avoid it if possible! I'd rather spend that money on getting the best quality food and care for my cat.

The soft carrier is the one I'm more in favor of because my cat will probably be making a a good number of relatively short car rides to and from my boyfriend's apartment and being less conspicuous is important. But it really all depends on how the kitty will react to the carrier and what he/she feels comfortable in.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Premier Cat

Not all rescues do home visits or contact the apartment managers. Be up front with the organization and tell them what the apt management told you about not wanting to know. Right now it is kitten season and alot of rescues would gladly let a kitty go to a good home. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page