I have a fetching cat, how about you? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

I have a fetching cat, how about you?

My Kilala cracked me up soo badly this morning! He's a bit of a fetching cat I can throw toy mice or fluff balls and he runs to get them and brings them back 95% of the time.

Anyways this morning I hear this odd racket as I'm changing and then it stops. I hear Kilala's bell then the racket again and it keeps getting closer. This keeps going on for about 15 mins finally an EXHAUSTED Kilala pops his head into my room. He apparently was attempting to bring me his new B-day present "da bird" up two flights of stairs because he was still so excited about it. Unfortunately for him the stairs are seperated in two parts and "da bird" has a longer stick then Kilala is used to hauling around.

I turned around and saw Kilala laying with "da bird" in his paws panting and silent mewing at me to play. The rest of the stick and sting were still trailing behind him in the hall! awwww silly creatures!

Anyone else got some fun fetching stories?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 01:27 PM

What a cute story. I can imagine how tired Kilala was - and what restraint it took him not to 'eat' the prey. If I left mine out Indigo would gnaw through the string to run off with the 'bird'

Both my cats like to play fetch. Indigo chases and retrieves toy mice but her personal favourite is hair scrunchies - the woolly elasticy kind. Madiba's primary love is strings/ribbons/shoelaces. He has always retrieved them and brought them to me in the lounge etc but I can't be playing often enough with him lately as he appeared the other day and perched on the side of my bathtub while I was taking a big bubble bath and he dragged a ribbon all around the ledge and finally dropped it into the bubbles - viewing the proceeding 'drowning' with interest. I had to laugh - poor mite was so desperate he even wants me to play with him while I'm in the tub.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Banned

Mine aren't. I wonder if they can be taught, or if it's just something they choose to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Indigo is a Tonkinese and they often play fetch but Madiba learnt from watching her, we suspect. I rewarded the cats when they showed this inclination as mostly it is a much fun for us as for them. I just found a toy/object they really loved, had a really good play session, tossed it a fair distance away and encouraged them to bring it back. My husband jokes about them never retrieving anything useful - like his slippers, or chocolate from the fridge for him to eat. In reality, they trained me to continue the play session by bring the object back to me as I didn't do anything special.

Given your posts on clicker training if anyone could train their cats to fetch I'd think it would be you.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 03:17 PM

How cute! My 2 boys fetch; my girls don't. It's not something we taught; they have just always done it.

Frodo loves to fetch ice cubes from the bath tub:

Xander will fetch his string:
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 04:12 PM

Ophelia plays fetch.....she brings me her crinkle balls and drops them at my feet or on my lap and waits for me to throw it so she can do it all over again And over and over and over....
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Senior Cat

Cleveland is a fetcher. Over and over and over ... Millie however gives you the look of ' well you threw it, you bring it back'

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Banned

Yeah, Baby just chases her ball, doesn't bring it back either .
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 12:52 AM

Monte loves to play fetch too. His favorite is when I rip up paper and crinkle it into a ball.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 01:55 AM
Cat Addict

We have a pair of fetchers here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page