The Herd: The Trapping Begins - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

The Herd: The Trapping Begins

Haven't been posting much lately 'cause I've been prepping for my annual checkrides Anyway, most of you know that in addition to the Herd of 14, we also have a few stray/ferals that we feed. Well, we finally got around to getting a trap for our own little T/N/R program. I got the trap yesterday and baited it last night after most of the Herd were in for the night. I got up this AM and discovered our first catch, "Cracker-Jack". I haven't written much about CJ because he has been more of a pest (chases some of our other cats) than a cat we'd like to keep.

He was not a happy camper when I went outside and saw him. He had ripped the plastic bowl I'd used to put the bait in to shreds. I was running a little bit late to spend much time with him, so I took him up to the isolation room, put a small litter box and food/water in and opened the trap. He made straight for the window....ouuuch!!

I got home from work about noon, changed clothes, got a carrier, and entered the room. Just then I thought, "Hmmm Spike, if he's really feral, how the heck are ya gonna get him in the carrier? Maybe shoulda left him in the trap you dope!!" Oh well, no use in crying until the scratches come I had about 45 minutes until the vet opened back up from lunch, so I just sat down and started talking to him. He was very scared.....he was crying, not hissing though. To make a long story short, I eventually got to touch his head, then rubbed his ears, and actually did a couple of practice "pick-ups", all without a single hiss or scratch By the time I put him in the carrier, he was rollin' around on the floor while I rubbed his body. I guess he's not a feral, just ANOTHER abandoned cat.

Anyway, Cracker-Jack is at the vet and will get neutered and a rabies vac. When I bring him home, I'll keep him inside for a night and then let him go Saturday. If he stays around, hopefully he'll act a bit better around the others. I'll get some pics of him tomorrow.

Will set the trap again Monday night since the vet is closed Sat pm and Sunday. Hoping to get Meeko or Honeybee next. Stay tuned!!

spike481
Herdmaster of 16 Cats & 1 Dog

"Ever tried to herd cats?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Premier Cat

Spike, you and Limyer are amazing. Im impressed you are doing this.

I would of been too afraid to go in that room to believe I could ever calm the kitty down and get him into a carrier.

It breaks my heart that people dump their cats ~ thank God there are people like you guys with compassion and knowledge! Keep us posted.. this is a very interesting undertaking youre doing!!! Hope we get pictures to go with this!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 06:30 PM

How can you afford to do this?

Does the vet you work with offer you any discounts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Tom Cat

wow, kudos to you!

like Boscosmom mentioned... I hope you're getting a discount. At least he's a boy so fixing is going to be cheaper than a female

Angie
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 07:59 PM

Hey Dawn, didn't Spike tell you we planted a money tree many years ago and it's just starting to bear fruit? Na, just teasing. We do have a very reasonable vet, and he knows we take in all these cats etc. so they usually will do a neuter for about 30. I have taken 5 cats in at a time for shots etc and eye medicine worming medicine and flea treatment for about 45. So, no we dont have piles of money, but it is cheaper to neuter and spay then take care of all the kittens. Mind you that we both love kittens, we just can't have 45 cats,so this is our little donation. Plus we feel that if these cats are in decent health it would be less likely our kitties would catch something from them. We do leukemia tests and vaccinations on all the cats that decide to hang around, and so far we have been very fortunate to have never had a feral test positive, so we will keep doing what we're doing. After all they didn't ask to be born, and it was some person that dumped them, so it is society's responsiblity to take up the slack (if we can). Well, I don't mean everyone has to do it , but if you can and you want to it is a good thing.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Banned

Well, you're sure doing way more than your fair share, bless you!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Cool Cat

Some vets just rock out loud. Mine does a lot of low-cost/free work with the local feral group; she and I discussed today some future ideas for strays/ferals I might find, and she said that she'd cut me a similar deal, provided I'd follow standard procedures in the care of ferals, and affiliate with the feral group if I was overwhelmed. She also said that she'd work with me if I ever caught up a stray in need and the shelter didn't have room, that they could board and do necessary medical work for a low price if the shelter would agree to take possession as soon as space was available. In the past, she's done lots for us when we were overwhelmed, neutering five puppy-mill dogs after hours and only charging us for post-op meds for the dogs' ear mites...the rest of the bill was zeroed out.

Some vets are just gold, and will do whatever they can to help if they believe you're serious and your plans are viable.

Keep trapping as you can, and eventually you will start to make a dent.

Really.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 09:14 PM

When our aunt died we set up a memorial fund with the local vet. It is for animals whose owners can't afford treatment and animals who have no owners. My aunt was very popular and at the time of her death there was about 2000 dollars in donations. My husband and I donate at least twice a year and I think some of her friends do too. The reason I mention this is your local vet may have such a fund or you could help set one up.
MM
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

That's a thought. Might look into that one.

spike481
Herdmaster of 16 Cats & 1 Dog

"Ever tried to herd cats?"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Premier Cat

Liymer I need to get a cutting of that money tree from you, for my yard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page