Covered Cat litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Covered Cat litter

Just wondered if any of you use covered cat litter trays and how you find them . Do your cats have any problems using them? Do you forget abot the litter because you cant see it?

Just wondered were considering gettting one. We have 3 cats soon to be four and obviously will need to put another litter tray down, was thinking about the covered ones?

Take care Sx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Banned

I don't use them primarily because they're a pain to clean. But many people also report that some cats just won't use them. Makes sense, because cats are very sensitive to odor, and the covered box confines the odor inside. If you want to give it a try, there's no great expenditure, but be aware that it might not work out.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 03:44 PM

i also have three cats and i only have two litter trays, One open and one covered, My eldest cat goes out for the toilet unless he gets caught short.

The two younger ones who are indoor cats use both trays without a problem. in fact they use the open tray to pee in and the covered tray for the other!
Why i don't really know maybe they prefer the privacy. I don't have a problem with cleaning it, its really quick and easy, but i tend not to use clumping litter because of the fact its easier to clean. I scoop out the covered tray every day and do a full litter change twice a week, where as with the open tray i need to change every day, i never really forget to do the covered one because i have to do the open one any ways!!

If you get a covered tray and your cats won't take to it then you could always put a blankie in and convert it into a bed for one of them as there is plenty of room inside

Good luck with whatever you decide and hope your new kitty setlles in well!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 10:12 PM

I agree with the others. If I were in your shoes, I would just get one and try it out. I have three cats and two covered trays (yes I know I should have four,but I don't really have room for all of them right now). They don't have a problem using them.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 10:18 PM

i bought a covered litter box when i first got my cat butch and he hated it lol. but that could just be because he is kinda pickey. but give it a try, if your kitty doesn't like it you an just take the top off. lol thats what i did. but i agree they are a pain in the ass to clean.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 10:19 PM

Both of my litterboxes are covered. I think they're easy to clean. The tops come off-I don't keep mine locked down, then they're just as easy to clean as other litterboxes. If I do notice gunk on the lid part, I take it out and hose it down.
The main problem with covered litterboxes is that they do tend to concentrate the odor inside the box. To combat this, clean twice daily. Also, leave the top slats empty rather than putting the odor absorbing pads in, they don't work.

Here's a good article about litterboxes. Most of it's about why cats stop using them, but it does also talk about covered versus uncovered.

http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

Jennifer
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 08:47 AM

I have three covered boxes. Two have doors on them too. I got a covered box for my first cat and have always got covered boxes since then. I just now started finding the ones that having swinging doors on them. I have four cats and I haven't had any issues with any of them using the covered boxes. I don't think they are "hard" to clean. It takes a second to snap the lid off and scoop.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 10:15 AM

We just got one for Sheba, as she's a "shoveler" and tends to make quite a mess around her litterbox. I was worried she wouldn't adjust to the litter box, so we put the new one out w/out the lid first (it's much higher than the old one) and then once she got used to that, put the lid on. She took to it no problem. Now I just have to get a new mat, as the one we have, she now clears when jumping out of the box and tracks litter through the bathroom!

So if you're worried, maybe try "transitioning" from regular to covered, then it won't be a complete shock to your current 3.
Oh, and we bought ours from walmart... about $13, and very big.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:33 PM

These cat litter covers are pretty cool

What do you think of these?

http://www.therefinedfeline.com/partnerproducts.htm
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 06:31 PM

We have allways had a covered litter tray and no problems what so ever. But my boys were used to use it since they were just kitties? Their breeder had covered trays. Hannibal loves to dig and cover with great intensity and covered litter tray keeps all the "stuff" out of our bathroom floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page