Leaving a kitten home alone? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Leaving a kitten home alone?

Hey everyone!

It's about time to consider having a cat. Some things fell through with our other cat, and decided to leave her with parents. NOW...

We want to get a kitten from either the shelter or a friend... but both my boyfriend and I work full time, and won't be home to supervise the kitten. Would it be safe to leave a cat who's 8 or 12 weeks old home alone during the day till 5pm?

Second... we could always get two kittens so they could keep each other busy (from same litter)... but are kind of concerned that our 800 sq. feet appartment may be too small for two... is our 2bed1bath shanty too small for 2 cats?

Just trying to see which option(s) will be best.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
sashywashy
We want to get a kitten from either the shelter or a friend... but both my boyfriend and I work full time, and won't be home to supervise the kitten. Would it be safe to leave a cat who's 8 or 12 weeks old home alone during the day till 5pm?
Its a good idea for you to get two so it has companionship while your not there..You could keep it confined to one room for starters.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Banned

I don't think your place is too small for two cats.

But if it's possible, I think it's a good idea for at least one of you to take your vacation time so you can be home for a couple weeks. That way you can discover what kinds of things you need to do to cat-proof your house. You're less likely to come home to unpleasant surprises. And you get some bonding time.

Getting two cats at the same time from the same litter is a great idea....the highest possibility they'll get along well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 01:38 AM
Tom Cat

I had originally planned to adopt an older single cat from my local humane society but when he got adopted out from under me, I ended up with two 6 month old sisters. I have to say that I'm glad it worked out that way. The two of them have such a good time playing together! It's daily wrestlemania at my house. I just have a medium sized one bedroom apartment and they don't seem to have a problem with the amount of space, so I would imagine you would be fine with your two bedroom.

It's been about a year and a half since they came to live with me, and I still confine them to the bedroom and bathroom when I'm not at home. They have everything they need in there and I've made it as cat safe as I can, although I've come to learn that nothing is ever 100% cat proof .

To minimize unpleasant surprises I would wear them out with a very active play session before you leave. Also be sure to provide them with a scratching surface or you can be sure they'll choose one themselves.

The only other piece of advice I have is to establish any grooming routine you want while they are babies. I am currently trying to get the girls into toothbrushing and it's not pretty. However, I've been trimming their claws since they moved in and they don't have a problem with it.

Good luck and enjoy!

Kel
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 08:44 AM

I would think as long as the place is kitten proofed you should be ok. Here is a thread about how many animals everyone has and how many sq. ft. https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18039

I had three cats in under 900 sq ft. It was a 2 bedroom flat. I didn't feel cramped, so maybe 2 would be OK for you.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Banned

Just remember: when you think you've got your place cat-proofed, think again!! Cats have a way of discovering something we've overlooked or didn't think was a problem.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

hah!

Yeah... we'll have to cat-proof the place... for sure. I think we decided one or two will be fine in this place. I think we're more worried about leaving them home alone for the day... vacation time is out of the question as we just graduated college and are now starting our lives together with full time jobs that don't grant vacation time till the end of the year

I suppose the age range that is available here is 8-12 weeks for the most part. I'm leaning towards one 12 week old cat... my boyfriend wants 2. If we were to do the 1-cat thing, is there a big chance that it'll be bored/lonely & crying all day long till we get home?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:17 PM

It is possible that the kitty may want a play mate.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Premier Cat

I recently adopted two kittens (sisters). In the past I had always gotten one at a time, but I see that the two together are much happier and more independent. They keep each other company, play, and sleep together.

It will be easier for two to stay busy while you're away. One kitten could end up being pretty lonely all day. Plus, if you know that at some point you would want more than one cat, your best bet is to get two littermates now instead of getting one and then bringing in another cat later.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Tom Cat

my boyfriend is expecting a cat or two within the next month...

and here are the things I gotta do to prep
-depending on the cat and personality, a small "hideway" place with something to sleep on in the corner of the closet
-make sure all small places (for example, under the bed and couches) are cleaned squeeky clean so they don't go under there and come out a dust covered cat
-my boyfriend and I have had experiences with box springs for the mattress. If the bottom is exposed, try to get some fabric to cover it up. The fabric with most box springs is this thin thin layer of cotton(?) and cats can easily rip a hole open and climb into the box spring. It's a huge pain to get them out... even if you reach under there to poke at them

Angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page