changing cat from outdoors to indoors - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

changing cat from outdoors to indoors

I'm trying to change my cat from being an outdoor cat to an all indoor cat in order to help prevent and control the fleas. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I was thinking of letting him outside maybe once a week or so. Is this a good idea? He's meowing almost constantly and I feel so bad for not letting him outside. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
My family had to do this a few times, and I've done it on my own once. My own cat has absolutley no problems being indoors only, so she's not a good example for helping you! lol

My parents cats were both outdoor kitties, strays, and we brought them to our house in suburbia, on very busy streets, and indoors they became. They only go out on leashes and harnesses now, for supervised and restricted outdoor playtime They really only want out in the summer, and like to go out once a week or so. I suggest this, as it's an easy way to let your cat have outdoor access, without worrying about the hazards of outdoor life

But for fleas, a once a month flea treatment like advantage or frontline is very effective! You can get them from the vet, and they work wonders!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned

Well, if you want your cat to be a strictly indoor cat, letting him out on his own once a week isn't a good idea. He'll know that you're going to let him out and will just pester you no end every day to let him go. I'd either keep him strictly indoors or go with vanillasugar's advice -- supervised and restrained outdoors, with parasite preventative. Then you can do it every day if you have the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Premier Cat

My cats are strictly indoor cats but I do let them out on leash and harness for a bit each day for a diversion for them. Now Mz Tess pesters me constantly to go out. Ive created a monster.

My friends have made their cats indoor cats. For the first few months they meowed and paced to get out but got over it with time. Then they had a "cateo" built.. which they can come and go at will thru the pet door. They are totally content with this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess
My cats are strictly indoor cats but I do let them out on leash and harness for a bit each day for a diversion for them. Now Mz Tess pesters me constantly to go out. Ive created a monster.

My friends have made their cats indoor cats. For the first few months they meowed and paced to get out but got over it with time. Then they had a "cateo" built.. which they can come and go at will thru the pet door. They are totally content with this.
Was there any high levels of frustration on you or your friends part in making your/their cats strictly indoor cats? If so, how did they handle it?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
sandra627
Was there any high levels of frustration on you or
your friends part in making your/their cats strictly i
ndoor cats? If so, how did they handle it?
I know Mz Tess meows alot to go out but I dont hear
it. I have it block ~ from years of raising children and
high levels of activity and noise they create

Because you know you are doing this for their own
good ~ when they are pacing or
doing the scratching on the window thing ~you
over look it. Its just important to have
activities for them to keep them from being
bored. Or like my friends did have a cateo
for them to go outside in, for the outdoor fix.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess
Quote:
sandra627
Was there any high levels of frustration on you or
your friends part in making your/their cats strictly i
ndoor cats? If so, how did they handle it?
I know Mz Tess meows alot to go out but I dont hear
it. I have it block ~ from years of raising children and
high levels of activity and noise they create

Because you know you are doing this for their own
good ~ when they are pacing or
doing the scratching on the window thing ~you
over look it. Its just important to have
activities for them to keep them from being
bored. Or like my friends did have a cateo
for them to go outside in, for the outdoor fix.
The constant meowing isn't affecting just me, it's also making my dad more frustrated and possibly losing more sleep. I think he may have intentionally let the cat out this morning just so he could get some more sleep. I'm gonna get one of those harness things at the store today though. I hope that'll help everyone's mood.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 02:48 PM

wet food helped mine to be indoors only more in my control

i trained my two cats on a leash from getting them...they have a great leash harness at target
one of them demanded to be outside and would take off every chance she got...then she started getting urinary tract infections from running around so much and hiding and not drinking
i found the best solution for the infections, thru research and trial and error was to give wet food watered down and it would release the blockage
this made her easy to train to be inside
i dont let her go out without the leash but once in a while she takes off and runs out and i chase her back..she is a gemini and loves to play games...hide and seek with me
i dont think letting cats out is agood idea...there are so many cat haters
and two dogs i live with will even kill stray cats he doesnt know
where i live kids shoot their beebee guns at everything
i have lost cats to everything imaginable and cant bear to let them out on their own so i have trained mine to go out for a bit just outside the front door in a rock garden on leashes
they dont do it every day but sometimes they just like to eat a little grass...they get fleas from doing this thol
its a wild wild world
i think your cat can adjust to being inside
give him extra treats and attention
in time he will get used to it
they are adaptable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page