I Don't Know How Much Longer I Can Do This... (UPDATE!) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I Don't Know How Much Longer I Can Do This... (UPDATE!)

Thank you, to those of you who have offered so much advice and support while I've been trying to find homes for the feral kittens and momma cat that we found under our house.

2 of the 5 kittens found a home (they went to the same home and the parents seem wonderful!) There are still 3 kittens though, and all of the shelters in S.E. Georgia are either "kill" or overflowing. The foster homes are overflowing and we can't find anyone who can take these little ones.

I've printed up fliers that I'm going to start distributing tomorrow. I hope someone is interested. The kittens are already 5-7 weeks old, so time is running short for a successful socialization.

It's just so hard...I'm doing my best. If worse comes to worse, I'M going to be the one who has to call the local shelter (a "kill" shelter). I'M going to be the one to send these babies away from their mother to an uncertain future. D*** IT!!!!!!!!! Those poor little babies... I just want to make sure they'll be okay. But, I feel so emotionally drained and frustrated. I'm not paying attention to my work like I should because I'm so worried about this family. And what about when the time has passed that they'll be able to be socialized? I need help, but there's none out there it seems. What do I do? Someone tell me what to do. I don't know. I don't know. I've never done this before. I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Premier Cat

Bobbie, I don't know what to say other than my very best wishes that those babies find homes.
Whatever happens please know you did all you could to help them.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Cool Cat

Would you be willing to travel/transport if there was a no-kill alternative available? You may have already exhausted the possibilities, but here's a listing, maybe there's still one you missed...

http://www.catswithnoname.net/Georgia.htm

Also, start hitting up the local vets for help...some can be pretty helpful.

Good luck...it's a hard thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 11:53 PM

Don't worry - it should be alright. You still have pleanty of time to find homes. Have you tried petfinder? (Not sure if that was posted before or not). You could butter up the add saying that they are home raised, well socialized and kept with their mother until it was time to go. It might help. I know I would prefer a well socialized 12 week old kitten to an ity bity not socialized 5 week old.

If things don't work out - just remember that you have tried your best. Good luck and keep us updating on what's happening with the babes.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 01:55 AM

Hang in there! You are doing a great thing and we are all hoping everything works out for you!

Heard of this place?

http://goodmews.org

They seem interesting. Not sure how close/far it might be from you exactly but I thought it might be worth a shot.

Not sure this one would take them or if they host pictures, or what (didn't look closely) but maybe they could give you some info or hints...

http://www.petorphans.com/index1.html

I'm thinking of you and hoping it works out!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Petfinder could work, but most people that do the searching only see the listings that we're all familiar with. To get those listings you have to sign up as a shelter or rescue organization.

Have you seen which shelters nearby are on petfinder? Maybe you can ask them to put the kittens on the site but you'll keep them until they get adopted... that way they aren't taking up space and food at the shelter but still have a chance?

Where in GA are you? I live in the upstate of SC and apparently non of the shelters by us have kittens yet. We had our six kittens and all of them got adopted within I think 4 days of being on petfinder. We had a client come in with two new kittens he got in GA because nobody around here had any...

so you may want to think about driving them just out of your area to one that isn't so full up yet. But I really think you'd feel better if you found homes while they were still with you. Good luck!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
Have you seen which shelters nearby are on petfinder? Maybe you can ask them to put the kittens on the site but you'll keep them until they get adopted... that way they aren't taking up space and food at the shelter but still have a chance?
Hi there. Yes, I checked on Petfinder and emailed every shelter within about 3 hours of me (as I don't have the means to travel any farther). A couple of them offered to put the kittens' photos on THEIR Petfinder pages, so those are already up. Check them out here (They are Caramel, Tuxedo, Eclipse, and Shiela):
http://www.hsecgapets.petfinder.com

Quote:
Where in GA are you? I live in the upstate of SC and apparently non of the shelters by us have kittens yet. We had our six kittens and all of them got adopted within I think 4 days of being on petfinder. We had a client come in with two new kittens he got in GA because nobody around here had any...
We are near Savannah, GA right now. (Way down South!) Since we are more familiar with the Atlanta area, we considered taking them up there, but their shelters are full, too. You know, I've heard that the pet overpopulation problem is so bad here that a lot of shelter and humane workers have never seen anything like it! So, we have considered taking them farther, but, like I said, I can't go much futher than 3 hours.

Quote:
But I really think you'd feel better if you found homes while they were still with you. Good luck!
So do I! At least then I'll know for sure what's happening with them and where they are going. Look below for update!!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Last night, an animal-lover I know asked me how things were going with the kittens. I told her the disheartening news and she said, "Okay, look. I don't want you to be this stressed out about something that's not your responsibility to begin with. I am going to donate $100 to these babies for you to take them to get their shots and tests so we can take them to the adoption fair on April 23rd. I'll even come over and help you trap them. We'll get this taken care of and we'll make sure they find homes."

I burst out crying. I couldn't believe someone was actually offering more than words to me. They were offering to HELP! To get involved! I didn't even get that from the humane societies! So, with any luck, these babies will have homes by the end of next week.

AND!!!! A woman at work said that her parents live on a farm and have a whole bunch of ferals as mousers. So, as soon as we can get the momma cat spayed, she'll have a big 'ole farm to run around on.

This is such a great day! Now, I just have to make sure they stay safe until then. <fingers crossed>

Thank you all for your help. I will let you know as soon as I have any more news.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Woo-hoo!!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 11:00 AM

That is great news I am so happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page