Cat Forum banner

New kittens!!! Multiple questions

802 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  nancyLA 
#1 ·
Well, my boyfriend and I decided to get two kittens!!! We found a no-kill shelter that seriously had the nicest people I've ever met.

Well, they're two males... I'm hoping we didn't make a mistake... they're both 8.5 weeks from different litters. One's a short haired, one long. They're already going at it with playing around... and it's rather fun to watch. Onto the questions:

1) Are two males together bad? They'll get neutered at around 3.5 months, so hopefully they won't start to spray.

2) The long haired is by far more tame than the short haired... shorty usually starts all the fights (romp-sessions) and pins down the long haired cat... until longy fights back and chases shorty down the hall (it's rather fun to watch). BUT... this morning when I fed them, shorty kind of let out a funny half-winded growl when longy would try to eat out of the same bowl... so I separated them to 2 bowls and all was fine. Although when I did try to pet him while he was eating he did the same thing... after he was done, all was fine. Is this bad? If so, how can we fix it?

3) Both kittens for the most part are semi-knawing at our fingers & at boxes... I'm assuming they're teething? We don't let them do that for long, and have chew toys for them... but is there anything else we can do? Shorty seems to go for my necklaces too... it's cute... but I don't want my neck to get scratched :lol:

Any info would be great!!!! =)
Oh... and here are the kittens!! We need to name them so bad.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y198/ghettolsicious/

See less See more
#2 ·
They are so cute. It is normal for cats to not want to be petted when they are eating. So him growling at you isn't a big deal. My youngest used to bite on us hard. She stills at 2 years old bites occasionally but not like she did when she was little. Never really figured out a way to stop it. We even tried the biting back thing like they tell parents to do to kids that bite. Didn't seem to faze her. Usually she will give you a warning growl before she bites. I always tell kids that are playing with her that when she starts the growling, leave her alone. I've been bitten on the nose & cheek a few times. I always assumed it was the aggressiveness of the Siamese in her coming out. Who knows? Hope you enjoy the new boys.

#3 ·
Congratulations on your new arrivals!

I think everyone here will agree that letting the kittens chew in ANY way on your hands is a VERY bad idea! When they grow up and get bigger, they will then think it's okay to bite human hands... and it's harder then to curb the habit. So definitely don't continue to let them play with your hands & feet!

Kiera also periodically "notices" my necklands and tries to bat at it... which is fine... until she tries to use her claw to grab hold. Ouch!

#4 ·
Well, the little terrors get along just fine! :D They sleep with each other every night... seriously the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Funny thing though... it seems their personalities have switched!!! Now the short haired kitten is soooo melow, turning into a dependent lap-cat. And the long haired is now always running around, starting the fights, and acting crazy. :lol:

The one thing that they still do is try to bite our fingers/toes. Every time they try, we hiss and blow in their face followed by a "no", and they seem to get the hint (but only for a second as they go right back to it). How else can we stop this biting issue? :?:

Before they will go to sleep, it's like they need to search for milk and will do on our necks if we're laying down. I'm scared they might bite my neck, but I really wish that they would just go straight to sleep and not bother with the scratching/sucking fest! :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.