putting a cat on a long haul flight - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

putting a cat on a long haul flight

Hi there - I'm about to put my rescue cat on a 13 hour flight from Singapore to the UK. Worried about doing this as he gets upset with just a 10 min drive to the vets, but as am leaving Singapore shortly to return to the UK and am not prepared to leave him behind - have little option. Has anybody ever done this before? and if so can you give me any tips on making it easier for the cat?

(as its the UK as well and they're very strict I can't have him in the cabin with me - he has to go in the animal section of the cargo hold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 04:00 AM

Would it be possible to take 2 flights so you can see him in between?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Cat Addict

A vet may be able to prescribe a mild sedative that will keep your kitty safe and calm for the entire trip. When we moved across America a few years ago - a fourteen hour drive - we gave our boy a sedative that the vet prescribed, and he made the move wonderfully.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

apparantly the vets in singapore won't give him a sedative as he will be unattended during the flight and it could be dangerous, re the option of taking two flights - not really as due to the strict UK laws he has to do the journey in one go - has anyone out there ever had experience of doing something similar - have also been told that it will cost about USD1,800 to fly him back!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 02:36 PM

I guess it looks like you have no choice - you and the cat will simply have to endure the flight. Just make sure he has a carrier large enough to avoid having to lie in potential accidents, and make sure the water carrier is suitable and won't run dry/spill. I'm not sure how you can check this, but would you be able to check the airline for if there will be ANYONE with access to the hold during the flight? I would imagine there must be some member of staff who goes to check animals on such a long journey.

Has he a Pet Passport, or will he be going into Quarantine? Why would you want to fly him back, if you are moving over here?

Good luck! Ems

PS. It might be a good idea to get the carrier he will travel in now, and leave it in your home for him to sleep in, to get him accustomed to it and get it smelling like him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page