Switch vets? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
Switch vets?

My 6 month old kitten, Harley, has had diarrhea for almost two weeks now. He's been to the vet three times for it, and they still don't know what it is... and it's still not solidifying.

He does have round worms (annoying, because he was treated when he was younger), which could explain diarrhea, but this is an awful lot... and it's rather explosive. The carpets and furniture are getting bad.

So far Harley is on Bio-Sol for the diarrhea, Prednisone for possible IBS, and Hypoallergenic food for possible food allergies. A couple times, it's seemed to be a little bit better... more solid. But then the next time, nope.

So I didn't want to, but today I made him an appointment at another vet clinic. We've been going to the current one for 20 years.

So if the new clinic figures out what's wrong and fixes the poor guy... should we think about making this a permanent change for all the cats and the dog? Thoughts on the matter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 04:21 PM

I think it's perfectly feasible to get a second opinion on this, especially since your vets are pumping a 6 month old full of steroid without knowing what's wrong. Have they done any tests?

I say if the new vets treats you well and gets results, then change.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Banned

Intestinal problems are exceedingly difficult to diagnose and treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:44 PM

I also believe it is hard to accurately pinpoint the cause of diarrhea. Madiba had a couple of days of diarrhea and although they found nothing in his stool sample (ever tried putting a diarrhea sample in a ziplock bag ??) they put him on a course of Flagyl nonetheless. It cleared up within a few days although I had to continue his normal wet food diet as he rejected the bland boiled chicken and rice thing. Hope you get to the bottom of it or it is successfully treated. In your case I would also consider getting a second opinion, just to be on the safe side - or does your current vet practice have more than one vet - you could always ask if a vet partner could consult on your kitten's case.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Banned

My Baby had roundworm a couple of times and I don't think she ever had diarrhea . I hope you find a different opinion soon.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlikat
found nothing in his stool sample (ever tried putting a diarrhea sample in a ziplock bag ??) .
Yep, I used a plastic spoon... which I left in the ziploc bag

Well, Harley is heading over to the other vet in about an hour, and I'll let you know what comes of it. I do realize that intestinal problems are hard to figure out, but the fact is that the kitten has has diarrhea for 2 weeks straight now, and something needs to be figured out. I gave the other vet 2 weeks, took the kitten in three times. Now, I'm getting a second opinion, and if they can't figure anything out, either, well then I guess I'll stick with my current vet... unless it continues for a third week, in which case I'll be getting a third opinion... Something's got to be done. The floor and furniture are all stained up, and the curtains have shrunk from having to be washed... And most importantly, the kitten, while he does have very "normal" periods of being playful and alert, will sometimes get this dazed look in his eyes and slow down, plsu he's scared of the diarrhea (so he runs away when it's coming). It's very sad having a crated kitten (he still comes out to play).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 02:27 PM

yes please let us know what happens I will be thinking of you and your little kittie
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Well, the vet wasn't big on the Bio-Sol or the Prednisone, especially since they hadn't fixed the situation, so she said to stop that.... She gave me a perscription for an antibiotic in case there's just something bacterial cycling through him and a bland, canned diet to try out for a couple days. Cross your fingers for poor little Harley!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesnBaby
My Baby had roundworm a couple of times and I don't think she ever had diarrhea . I hope you find a different opinion soon.
Correction: I just found out that she did have diarrhea. Anyway, I do hope the other vet gave you the right advice and hope everything works out ok. Keep us updated.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 04:15 AM

I hope Harley starts to recover.

I'm glad the other vet took him off the steroids...those are not good for such a young cat.

Has he been given any Sub-Q fluids throughout this, to ward off dehydration??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page