Getting a cat tomorrow - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Getting a cat tomorrow

Ok, tomorrow my gf and I are going to the local petsmart to get a kitten. We've both had cats/dogs at home, but never one that was just ours. I wanted to get some advice from you all on the best toys, food, and litter for a kitten. I know we'll buy him/her some beds(whats best?), has anyone ever used the fountains that petsmart sells(cats like those better?)? Any advice you guys can give me would be great. I've waited all week for this, I can't wait. If we are lucky enough to get one tomorrow I'll try to get some pictures posted by the end of the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Banned

Congradulations. It really depends on the cat what it will like. Some cats don't like to sleep in cat beds and some do. As well as the drinking fountains. Some will like to drink from it, some will like to look at it and play w/ it or some will not like it at all and prefer a cat bowl (I think ceramic would be best). Toys w/ strings would be good so you can socialize the kitten and have interactive play together, balls, furry mice, etc. would be good too. Don't forget vet visits, get him/her spayed/neutered, advantage (if indoor) for fleas, vaccinations, etc. Good luck and look forward to seeing pics soon!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:59 PM

Hi Stephen Welcome to Cat forum. I hope everything goes well tommorrow, the only advice I really can offer just now is make sure you get a scratchpost in reguards to toys don't buy anything expensive for the moment anyway, as some cats don't really play that often, and if they do the toy is history, I found that anything that dangles on string is good as it allows you to interact with your cat, some toys actually have catnip inside them, I love watching my 3 go mad over catnip toys, I know it's not much advice but I hope I've helped in some way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I can't wait till tomorrow. It's gonna be hard not to buy half the store
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Banned

You'll buy half the store, the cat will use it once or twice (so you can't bring it back), and then decide to play with a paper bag!!

That's the fun of having cats!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 09:07 PM

I got my two cats at petsmart too, and the day we got them we ended up buying EVERYTHING ath the store, well almost everything lol. My cats like the fountains but they are a pain in the neck because you have to really clean it every 2 days. I think bowls are alot easier and easy to clean......I only use the fountain now when I go on a short vacation.....same with the automatic feeders that they have.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Well, we payed for the kitten, but wont get her until next Saturday . She's about 3 1/2 months old. She has short hair, is mostly white with orange, black, and brown stripes along her back and legs(she's one of the prettiest cats I've ever seen). She was so scared today with all the dogs barking. Her brother was adopted about 30 minutes after we picked her. We didn't go all out on toys/bowls/beds, but she should have plenty of new things to play with. We're going to name her Pumpkin .
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Congrats!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Congratulations on the new feline!
You said she is 3 and a 1/2 months? As a breeder (in the past) it is safer to let them go to good homes at six months. With her age in mind or any age for that matter get her vaccinated as soon as possible, do not take her outside or to public places... Diseases are air born as well as transferred through touching or close contact with a infected or carrier cat. Love the name choice, I like to name red tabby's Marmalade She sounds to be a Tortishell tabby, one of my favorite colorations but, I do have to say I am a sucker for Calicos. As for the question at hand, I also agree with a ceramic bowl or stainless steel. Kick toys are a favorite among my fluffies as well as shaker toys. I highly recommend Iams kitten food, it is one of the best on the market for a balanced diet. Let's see... Beds, the once I have found to work well are the round deep beds or the fluffy flat beds, it all depends.
Hope to see this little bundle of joy soon.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 08:10 PM
Cool Cat

congratulations that you are adopting a needy kitty!

when picking out toys and such, just be careful not to buy any that have little plastic eyes or things that your cat will inevitably break off and could be swallowed!

my cats go CRAZY for a plastic stick with feathers stuck on the end (sort of looks like this

and for little fur mice.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page