Maine Coons "the pitbulls of the cat world"? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Maine Coons "the pitbulls of the cat world"?

A friend of mine said Maine Coons are the thugs of the feline world and she likened them to pitbulls. She said they're stocky and thuggish, tear everything to shreds and love to attack. I've never heard this, is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Cool Cat

Rubbish. Utter Tosh. The only accurate thing there is "stocky," which is part of the breed standard.

Pitbulls aren't even thuggish, never mind MC's. Maine Coons are traditionally laid-back, mellow family cats, and also have a tendency to clown around. They're also fabulous mousers.

I have known many thuggish cats who were prone to attack, but it had WAY more to do with their treatment, upbringing, and experiences than their breeds.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Cat Addict

Perhaps they said that because Maine Coons are typically known for their large size.

Either way, it's bogus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 07:07 PM

Yeah, that is bull. I had a Mainecoon and he was the most laid-back, easygoing, friendliest cat I have ever met. He was big, but I don't think he ever torn anything up, scratched or even hissed. He was a very go w/ the flow kind of guy.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mine are Maine Coon mixes but they are very coonish and even tho they are only 8 months old they are HUGE. When I see them in action at night (when they think I'm asleep but really I am spying on them) their antics are HILARIOUS. They really have fun and go crazy.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
I like Maine Coons. I think that they are cute.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I can kind of agree that they are the "pitbulls of the cat world" but for a different reason.

Most pits are wonderful dogs who have a bad reputation because of the look, but also because of a few rotten owners who raise aggressive dogs. I think the general look of the maine coon may have something to do with the bad rep. I've honestly never heard anything about them being mean or aggressive, but can see why people would think it of such a large cat.

I saw one at a cat show... very intimidating but I tend to believe that dogs are more "aggressive" by nature than cats. Some breeds take training and a lot of socialization to make sure they are well behaved citizens, where as cats tend to not have problems like that (except at the vet's office!)

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Banned

I like Maine Coons. They are my favourite breed. I think they are the gentle giants of the breed.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:22 AM

They are refered to as "Gentle Giants" - whoever said that was probably a jerk. Honestly, most of the people who have very mean cats cause their problems by not putting the time into them.

I'm not talking about the occasional bite... or when your cat suddenly goes nutzo... or the ones that come to us abused. I'm talking about the ones that came to them as kittens - and became mean because their owner either didn't like them - or because they just didn't want to deal with them (too much work for them).

Maine Coons are the most snuggly... sweetest cats. I can't believe someone would say something so horrible about them... not to mention saying that pitbulls are "thugs"

I think whoever said that needs to stop descriminating against certain breeds...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
As a Maine coon owner - what utter complete rubbish! I have never heard a person educated on maine coons say anything of the sort and I attend a fair few cats shows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page