My new "cat" carrier...(pic included) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

My new "cat" carrier...(pic included)

Well as some of you know, I am temporarily moving from Illinois to South Carolina....with Oliver... This will be a 14 hour car ride not counting rest stops, eating stops, and bathroom breaks. Anyways, I don't know how Oliver will handle it but the other day I went out and bought him a bigger carrier. This is actually a dog kennel! Oliver is too big for all the cat carriers!

Any suggestions on how you make the ride more comfortable for him? Here is what I was thinking and you guys can give me your opinions and suggestions:
*Throw a cover over the carrier so he can't really see out so that way he might seem less freaked out....
*Don't give him water past 9pm the night before so he won't pee in the carrier ....my vet says not to let him out all but I also don't want him going to the bathroom on himself.
*Make sure he has a towel with my scent on it in his carrier so he feels more safe.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have traveled long long distance in the car with their cats. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:02 AM

l your pet carrier! lol. i have the same problem my cat is a big fatty! my vet told me, when i had to take my cat on a trip to buy some food with extra vitamin B (ect.) because it elimantes stress. and if you take him out of the carrier to put him on a harness. are you bringng the litter box? lol good luck with your ride!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I am not taking him out of the carrier unless I think he needs to use his litterbox (I plan to probably have a small one in the car) but he's held it for 4 days one time when I brought him home from being declawed because he didn't know it was ok to go potty in the box full of shredded newspaper. Poor thing. But yes, I plan to not take him out of the car so I don't think i'll have to get him a harness. I'd be tooo scared of him bolting away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:22 AM

oh no! he held it for 4 days? wow. lol yeah when i took my cat in the cat i was nervous about taking him out, but after i put the hraness on and he sniffed around then he was ok. well good luck with the ride!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 11:00 AM

When I moved with my three last July it was supposed to be a 24 hour trip....turned into 48 hours I had a big carrier like that for Zoee too. The other two were small enough to fit in a cat size carrier

I did not feed them breakfast. I don't remember exactly what time I took the food away (I was free feeding dry at the time). I did allow them water either. Once again I am not sure when I took it away, but I don't think it was 12 hours before.

I put fleece in the bottom of all their carriers so they were nice and soft. It slid around a little though. I didn't cover the carriers.

I brought a litter box, which I kept in the trunk and water. When I moved it was 3 cats, a puppy and a turtle We stopped every few hours for the puppy to go to the bathroom. When we did this I put my turtle in water in a container in the trunk. Took all the carriers out of the back seat. Then one at a time I took the cats out of the carriers and put them in the backseat with the litter box. I sat with them for a few minutes back there, then placed them back in the carrier and offered them water. I did this with each kitty.

None of them would drink ANY water the whole time. They each went pee once and it may be the begging and pleading I was doing that made them go

Does Oliver have a collar and tags? I put mine on a leash or did not let them out of the carrier unless all the doors were closed, so I did not have to worry about escapees!

Good Luck!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 02:02 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
Well, we went both ways fom Fl to NY and then back in about 2 weeks last year cause of the hurricanes.

On the way there we had to make due with what we had, the pet stores were all out of carriers. We only had one. We ending up putting both of them in it, and letting them out in the car, leaving the litter box on the seat, and food and water on the back deck. They ate a little and they did use the litter box. Funny though..they both cuddled together in the carrier even though they could roam around the car. They also both had there harnesses on, and before we opened any door, even though they were not going out, we put there leases on and tied them to the door. so they couldn't jump out.

On the way home we had a crate for them. they both fix with a liter box, food and water. it was perfect. We would have had a problem if they didn't like each other as much as they do though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 07:18 PM

Well, having moved a few times from AZ. to WI and back... Also, with traveling often to shows I find it to be more comfortable if you get a carrier that can accommodate a small litter box. The familiar scented blankie is exactly what I do, I also put a favorite toy in as well. I feed at night and then hold off on the food until that night in the hotel room however, I feed a spoon full of baby food (or two) in the in between time. I also offer water every time I stop so they will not get dehydrated. Personally I never let my cats free roam in the car, I have had to many friends with something or another happen that puts the animal in jeopardy. O, and I also do the cage cover as well, I think it does cut down on stress.
Good luck and be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page