Are cats worse in carrying deasies? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Are cats worse in carrying deasies?

I heard that cats are worse in carrying deasieses. Is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

Worse than what?

And what diseases?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 06:40 PM

I think dogs have more diseases than cats, as far as I know cats only problems would be Feline Lukema, Kidney problems and other little minor issues, nothing real big like dogs. Dogs have number of stuff from parvos to blood disorder, Joint Problems ( in some breeds) etc.... But that's just what I have noticed....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Premier Cat

cats can carry the flu, they can catch it from ducks, I dont know what else they can carry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 07:57 PM
Premier Cat

Humans can pick up Toxoplasmosis from cleaning out the litter box, a parasite that can be present in cat feces. It is a concern for pregnant woman because it can cause risk to the fetus. For this reason pregnant woman should turn over litter box duty to someone else.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Tim, I meant are cats worse carriers of deasieses than dogs? And I mean EVERY deasieses that cats can get.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
It still depends on what you mean by "worse"... if they are "worse" carriers do they spread more diseases or spread less? (if they spread less diseases, it seems like they don't do a very good job spreading them, thus making them the "worse" carrier) but if they spread less diseases than they are better at keeping diseases from being spread... (how's that for giving a question the runaround answer? )

Do you mean how well do they carry diseases or how much of a problem is carrying diseases to cats?

And carry from species to species or just between cats?

Upper respiratory problems are very easly transmitted from cat to cat as well as from dog to dog. FIV and FeLV need direct contact (like bite wounds or in some cases saliva from sharing water bowls). Rabies is about equal in cats and dogs (as far as it being spread the same way).

Puppies usually have serious problems with parvo, which can be very deadly to untreated pups, but kittens don't have problems with parvo.

There aren't a whole lot of diseases that go species to species, like from cat to dog, or cat to human so I wouldn't worry a great deal about it.

Make sense?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover_2004
Tim, I meant are cats worse carriers of deasieses than dogs? And I mean EVERY deasieses that cats can get.
That's what I thought you were asking, but the point I was making, and which I believe you learned, is that when one wants to get specific answers, one also has to ask a specific question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page