Russian Blue cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Russian Blue cats?

Anyone here has a Russian Blue Cat?. Im thinking about getting one in the near future and was wondering if they are easy to find. From what i've read they can't be found in shelters/pounds etc, that's what the website i read from said anyways because usually the people at the shelter would say " yea it's a russian blue" but when its not, it's just a gray cat......I would think they are rare cats and are hard to find, I wonder if there is a breeder in Arizona ( its where I live ) ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
you can go to www.cfa.org (I think) and find listings for breeders in and around your area.

I wouldn't say you "can't" find any specific breed in shelters, but that its very rare and you really can't prove that it is a certain breed. True Russian Blues and British Shorthairs are usually hard to find because they aren't the most popular breeds, however many shelters tend to label a lot of the gray cats they have as at least part of one or both of these breeds.

Breeds like Siamese or Persian that are a little more popular can show up in shelters, but again there isn't proof that they're pure.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Banned

You can also google, but that, of course, will only bring up breeders who have web sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Cool Cat

Yes, Barnaby was listed as a Russian Blue at the shelter but I believe that he is just a DSH with the silver tipped gray fur. I don't believe that you'll find a purebreed at a shelter unless someone's pet went stray.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:09 PM

Yeah. Like Sammie. She was dropped off. I belive she is purebred. She's a very good kitty, calm, peaceful, playful....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Cool Cat

Although Sammie is a beautiful looking cat (and looks very much like Barnaby) it's doubtful that she is a pure breed Russian Blue. In some of the pictures that have been posted of her she appears to have the signature tabby marking "M" on her forehead, which Barnaby also has. Our gray cats have cute little round faces and a Russian Blue's face is more "triangular" shaped.

You can find a lot of information at this link.

http://www.russianblue.info/russian_blu ... mation.htm
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:27 PM

If you are looking for a purebred cat then seach for cat shows in your area. They will have Russian blues there and you will be able to find someone that is local or within driving distance.

I really like this cat breed! They are gorgeous!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page