Worried About Spraying - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Worried About Spraying

Hi All,

I am brand new to this board. The animal rescue by my house just got a new litter of kittens and I plan on adopting one of them. I am interested in getting a male because I hear they are more affectionate, but I am worried about the spraying. I am planning on having the kitten I get either spayed or neutered at 6 months like they suggest, but I am worried about the cat spraying prior to this time. Any thoughts to help me? I don't want stinky spray!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
I don't know much about that. Welcome to the forum. I hope that you like it here. Make sure you post pictures of your new kitty. It's wonderful that you want to gt your kitten spayed/neutered at the right month.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome to the forum, Monica!
Congratulations on adopting a kitten. You are wise to have your kitty spayed or neutered. Six months is generally seen as the optimum age, but I have heard of it being done sooner.
Best of luck with your kitten!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Talk to your vet. Males typical start to spray once they hit "puberty" around six months. I hear that if you get the neutered before they start, chances are it'll never happen (with exceptions of course) but that if you have the surgery done after they start there's a chance that they won't completely stop.

Its usually not a problem in females (again, with exceptions) but they go through heat cycles that can get downright ugly!

Some vets practice early spay/neuter surgeries when the kittens are very very young... where I work we're willing to do it on anything over 2lbs, but like to wait until 5-6 months. It really won't hurt if you get it done sooner rather than later... see if 4-5 months is ok with your vet.

Also, make sure you go somewhere you trust. Don't always judge by price... just because its expensive doesn't really mean its the best, and just because its the cheapest doesn't mean its the worst (although it usually is a pretty good guide)... but you should really put the cat's health and welfare at first priority. There are a lot of low cost clinics around, just make sure they're legit and clean. If your'e willing to spend the money, make sure its worth it!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Banned

I have two boy cats who were both neutered before they hit puberty and neither has ever sprayed. There is no problem having a male cat neutered earlier than six months so long as his testicles have descended and he is healthy enough to undergo surgery.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:01 AM

Welcome to the forum. I have (3) males and (1) female. I know everyone says males are more affecionate, but in my house it is the female

All of mine are spayed/neutered. Mateo's neuter was done at the shelter before I picked him up. His age is estimated at 1 year, but I haven't had issues with him spraying. My other boys were neutered around 6 months. I haven't had any issues with any of them.

Good luck.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments

Thanks guys for all of your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me your thoughts!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:24 PM

I neutered my two males at 4 1/2 months. Neither of them has ever sprayed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:25 PM

My cat is Female and she is the "Super Wonder Love Bug"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page