litter change?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

litter change??

how often do you change the litter and do you change it completely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Banned

There is no absolute answer to this question. It depends on the type of litter, how much litter is in the box, the number of boxes, the number of cats, what kind of food they eat, how fussy the cats are, etc.

Basically, you change it when it needs changing. When's that? It needs to be changed before the cats stop using it. This is a matter of trial and error. And a good reason for having more than one litter box. If you rotate when multiple boxes are changed, then when the cats stop using the older of the boxes, you know it's time to change that one.

For me, changing means emptying out all the old litter, washing the box with soap, bleach and hot water, drying and airing thoroughly.

I have three cats and two large boxes using non-clumping clay litter and get 7 - 10 days per box.

Those who use clumping litter are able to go much longer between change-outs because the urine is removed along with the feces during scooping.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 07:26 PM

I have one cat and her boxed is usually changed and cleaned about every 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Jr. Cat

My litter schedule

I live in my dad's basement, which is mainly two large rooms (not counting the tiny "wet-bar" kitchen, bathroom and utility/laundry room), and have a litter box in each one.

Since I have clumping litter, I just scoop once a day (mornings...sometimes evenings, if it's really full for some reason). Then on the first Saturday of each month, I dump out all the litter, rinse out the boxes, wipe them down with one of those Clorox Wipe things, and put new litter in.

~~~
I may be crazy, but it's kept me from goin' insane...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 12:38 AM

I have 4 cats and 3 boxes. I blend crystals and scoopable litter. I scoop twice a day. Morning and night. I completely empty, clean and fill with new litter once every month. I usually add a little litter a couple weeks after the change.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

ok, i have two cats and two large litter boxes, one upstairs and one downstairs, i scoop whenever i see them go at least 6 times a day, i change half of it every two weeks and changing the whole thing every month, i use litter by world's best, i guess i'm okay after reading how everybody does theirs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page