Kitten getting fixed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Kitten getting fixed

Well, instead of our new kitten getting fixed today, they are doing it on Thursday(only one day to heal before she comes home instead of three). Basically I'm wanting some advice on what to expect when she comes home(how long to heal, soreness, stitches coming open, stuff like that). Should I keep her shut up in one of the rooms upstairs for a few days? I know she doesn't need to be going up and down the stairs and I don't want to put her in the half bath. Anything special we should/could buy for her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I would give her a place where she can rest, and where other cats or children can't bother her. My vet suggested small feedings the first few days, and removed the stiches at 13 days. 10-14 is what was recommended. I think your biggest problem will be keeping her from running around. A small room would be better than a room in which she can run around. Good luck.

It's a shame most shelters do the spaying early, but they want to make sure the kitten is never bred. This is very common now. I spay/neuter at six months, but you probably have no choice, and I haven't heard of a lot of problems with early spaying.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Cool Cat

We brought the twittens back 10 days after the surgery to get the stitches taken out. It was actually done by a tech, took 10 minutes. Their little naked bellies were so strange feeling... poor things! They were actually not that woozy when we brought them home... they were quiet, but got around just fine, ate, used their box... the only thing we had to watch out for with them is that they kept licking and chewing at the stitches... but we were lucky since our appointment was on a Thursday and we picked them up on Friday, so we had the whole weekend to watch over them. By Monday the stitches weren't interesting any more.

I think they made a really speedy recovery though - and I'm sure yours will too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Well, the problem is I only have two places to put her. Either a half bath(no way would she have enough room) or our bedroom(the other bedroom has my computer in it and I don't want her to chew on a power cable).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I put mine in my bedroom too.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Cat Addict

If you have multiple cats, your other kitties will probably not like her much for a few days. Just an FYI.

<< Just recovered from that particular ordeal

My two girls don't have to return to have stitches removed, as theirs were under the skin and made to dissolve with the healing process. If yours are going to be done like this, your vet will have specific instructions regarding how the incision should look as it heals.

Lisa
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

After trying all day to get ahold of the society, I finally did. She had her surgery this morning, and is now resting. The stitches will need to come out after 10 days, so they are giving us a coupon for a free checkup. I hope to get some pictures up of her this weekend for you all to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page