Advice for a new cat owner - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Advice for a new cat owner

Hi All,

I will be bringing my two new kittens home at the end of May (they are just a few weeks old now) and I had a few questions. 1. Are there any table scraps that are harmful to them? 2. What is the immunization schedule for a kitten? 3. Do indoor cats need heartworm prevention medicine?

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
The kittens should not leave the mother cat and littermates until they are 12 weeks old. They should have had their first shots, and the vet will advise you about the remaining shots. An indoor cat who will never be around outdoor cats or be allowed outdoors will not need the vaccine for feline leukemia or Fiv. Heartworm is caused by mosquitoes, so it's not common in indoor cats.

Cats should not have tuna cat food. I think a taste of table food is fine, but only as a treat. My vet recommends mostlly canned food. I give one meal of dry cat food at night to hold them over. Many vets and owners feel strongly about this issue. Many recommend all canned food. Of course, you should have fresh water at all times. Ceramic bowls are best, even better than stainless steel, and are best put above the floor--to prevent acne on the kitten or cat's chin. Most of our members believe that any cat food that can be bought in a grocery store is very poor quality. It's better to go to a pet store. I hear great reports on Nutro pouches .

Kittens are little balls of energy, so you will have to teach them not to climb the drapes, or try to eat from your plate. I just use "no" or a hand clap and "no" as I remove them from the table or other forbidden spots. Here is a link that will help you follow their progress. Also, we will be happy to help you with specific problems, other than those for which a vet is needed. You have much joy ahead of you! I'm sure most of us envy you. OH! Don't use clumping litter with a kitten. They try to taste everything! You can use it when they get older, perhaps 5 months or so.
The very best of luck with your new babies!

http://www.peteducation.com/index.cfm?cls=1

http://www.mismatch.co.uk/raisingkittens.htm

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 02:19 AM
Banned

I don't recommend giving the cats table scraps because once they had a taste from your hand then they will be begging to eat from your plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page