Flying from Detroit to Illinois via Hamburg, Germany - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Flying from Detroit to Illinois via Hamburg, Germany

My husband is getting a new job in Illinois but as EU citizens we have to wait 5 months for a new US work visa to be issued and the company wants us to start in Hamburg 2nd week of May. So in 2 weeks we (cats included) will become Hamburgers (this is what I tell the cats). I am frantically trying to get everything sorted as our furniture will go into storage until we return etc but my biggest concern is the 2 cats. KLM has a maximum pet carrier cabin weight of 9 pounds - ie cat already inside carrier. Indigo weighs 7.3 lbs, Madiba 8.8 lbs, and the lightest airline approved carrier I could get is the Samsonite at 2.7lbs. So I'm desperately hoping they aren't strict or that I get an animal lover at the check-in desk as I would hate to have them travel in cargo (although that is obviously Plan B). Indigo is a little neurotic at the best of times and she is now officially a senior at 7 years. I have also bought 3 bags of EVO to take with me (I'll probably only have room for 3 or 4 outfits as I plan to take in as much kitty stuff for them as possible) Hopefully this will last them 5 months. I don't want to backslide into a poorer quality diet if I can help it after all the amazing foods I 've discovered here. If anyone here lives in Germany and knows of good foods (other than Hills, Iams etc) please let me know.

I'll post just before I go (probably May 6) so you can all keep the cats in your thoughts during their long flight. I'm not looking forward to CatForum withdrawal symptoms overseas as we're not taking our computer with us

Indigo, Madiba & Roxane (yes, I'm last in the pecking order)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Where at in Illinois are you moving to? I live in Illinois.

I would call the airport as soon as possible and tell them your situation that way you'll know more of what to expect when you actually go there in 2 weeks.

Good luck with the flight!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your message Heather. We will be moving to Champaign IL after going to Germany first. I have phoned customer services for all the major airlines which fly Detroit-Hamburg route, but have not actually spoken to the airline staff at the airport - perhaps I'll give that a try. I've also spoken to the German embassy to confirm animal regulations so hopefully I won't be surprised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 02:42 AM
Banned

Good foods to me are Innova, Wellness, Natural Balance and Nutro. Maybe you can find those there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page