Need Advice ASAP, Moving the Strays SOON - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Need Advice ASAP, Moving the Strays SOON

Well, it's been another week and no one has expressed any interest in adopting the stray kittens. They are another week old, so I'm guessing they are 7-8 weeks now.

I know that they are going to be very difficult to socialize beginning NOW. And I don't have the time, space, or finances to devote to socializing them, myself.

Do you all think it would be better to take the kittens to the shelter after I've taken them to the vet to get their shots and tests and everything? OR, should I just take them with the mom to my friend's parents' house...they have a colony of ferals that they feed. I mean, if they aren't going to be able to be socialized, I'm worried that if I send them to the vet and the new owners don't have the patience they need, they'll just end up back at the shelter and possibly put down.

One of the neighbours dogs scared them all yesterday by coming over into our yard and chasing after them. Then today, I saw the kittens at the FRONT of the house (they are usually out back in their bushes). So, they are getting more brave and wandering more. Time is running out, I fear.

I can't carry this responsibility any longer. And time is almost here that Jim and I will start packing up to move. What do you all think between choices above?? Thanks~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
It's unfortunate that they're not socialized, but it's still going to be relatively easy, in comparison with trying to socialize an adult. I would call the shelter and ask what their policy is. They might be able to find a foster home where the kittens could be socialized. I sincerely hope so.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 06:12 PM

I really wouldn't want to introduce them into an established colony of ferals, it could cause problems for the group not to mention adding more cats into the mix that could easily be rehomed so young. I have fostered feral kittens from even older, and with patience all have turned out ok as far as I know. I would take them to the shelter. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Banned

Are you going to get the mother cat at least fixed? Or are you going to bring her to the shelter too?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
It saddens me to think of what will happen with mother. I can only hope someone would like to have a grown cat. And I hope she's a stray, not feral. Life is bittersweet, isn't it?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page