Which litter is best for tracking problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Which litter is best for tracking problem

I have 1 cat and currently using 'Fresh Step'.
It's working good for odor and clumping but there is a tracking problem.
I have a small carpet just outside the box but there will be graduals tracking up to 5 feet away from the box.

Is there a better litter for this or any other ideas.

I have seen those litter box cat carpets that look like plastic artifital grass.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getp ... er+Box+Mat
OR
The 2 piece that has a grid on the top.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getp ... elcome+Mat

Has anyone used either of these and do they work better then a low pile carpet piece?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

I tried lots of different litters after I adopted my cats and I thought Fresh Step was one of the lowest-tracking litters out there. But there were other things about it I didn't like. Eventually I had to come up with another solution, which I wrote about here: https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13148

Unfortunately, the photo has been deleted from the server, and it's not on my hard drive. If you're interested after reading the description, I'll try to dig it out of a back-up and re-upload it to my web storage so it displays in the post. Let me know.

There are various mats and things sold commercially for controlling tracking but most of them are inadequate or have other drawbacks, so that's what worked best for me. But you need the space available to do it. Another solution is what spike uses for his herd: https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12095

Hope this info is helpful.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

That look pretty cool. I edited my post before reading yours and asks about the grid carpet if you will for outside the box. It looks to be something I could rig up also for less price.

Thanks for the idea,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:16 PM

A solutiuon similar to Tim's has helped me. Probably by at least 50%. Pet store sell things that rely on the same principal if you are not inclined to make it yourself.

This is what I have
http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?f ... ories&ct3=

But I still find (clean) litter granules in my bedding every couple of days. Mmmm, crawling into textured sheets is soooooo nice at the end of a hard day! Almost as nice as stepping on a fresh hairball in the dark at night with bare feet.

The things we do for our furry ones!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

I like it.

I think I'll try something like this first and if I feel adventuress I might make something like Tim did.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned

For a litter shedding device to work it has to force the cat's toes apart so the litter granules stuck in there fall out. Basically, that's how some of the mats and grids work. But some of the mats don't do that, so they fail to contain tracking. And walking on that is uncomfortable for the cat, so also important is that the device has to be big enough, and placed such that the cat has to walk on it with all four paws. If the cat can walk around or jump over, it won't work. That's the drawback of most of the pet store devices. Not to mention their price!! If you can configure access to the litter box so the cat has to walk on it, then one of those might work for you.

Like gsc4 says...the things we do!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Good points.

Do you think the 1 I listed above and the 1 gsc4 listed will do ok.
Not sure if the grid is big enough.

I was going to go to some place like Home Depot and see if I can find something to start out with.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Banned

I've tried the astro turf and it worked fairly well but Mellie likes to chew on plastic and I didn't want her to swallow the plastic grass blades, so that was out. The litter grid -- I've seen at Petsmart and it's pretty small. It will work, but you would have to figure out some way to get your cat to step on it with all four paws. The Petco one will also work, but the same caveat applies, and the way it's shaped you wouldn't be able to put two side-by-side.

Let us know what you come up with the works for you!! Different solutions for different situations!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 02:37 PM

I do wish the one I have would be larger. They walk around it some. It improved the problem, not eliminate it.

I like the 2 piece blue one you found better. It has the tray underneath that I like on my smaller one. You just tip the tray carefully over the gargabe bag any the litter drains out.

And when are the manufacturers going to learn use less obtrusive colors. How about a nice neutral grey that does not clash with my decor?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 11:22 PM

What about switching to a pelleted type litter like Feline Pine or Yesterday's News?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page