from regular litter to clumping - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

from regular litter to clumping

I was warned not to use clumping litter with a kitten. Well, Bob is 4 months old today. Is it safe to switch to clumping litter now? He is doing well with the clay, but I like the clumping kind. Thanks for your help. John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

I guess is should clarify the question. I was told on this board that a kitten had ingested clumping litter and died. I did not want that to happen to my new bud so I used clay litter. Also the shelter used clay litter for kittens. Now that he is 4 months I am going to try clumping litter. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks. I am not going to switch for another few days.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 09:54 PM

I used clumping litter from really early on. I think it's more of an urban legend about kittens eating clumping litter. Regardless, my cat never had any problems with it, and we used it from 8 weeks old. It is SO much nicer to use (for the human anyway!)

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I will give it a try and watch how he does. John
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Banned

John, it was I who gave that warning. There is a thread in the Over The Rainbow Bridge forum where a woman adopted a kitten only to have it pass away 4 or 5 days later. Right before the kitten died, she had found litter in its vomit and that the kitten was not urinating nor defecating. So that was the reason I passed on the potential warning.

Now when I got Tooties, she was about 6-8 months and had yet to go into her first heat. She had no problems with clumping litter but then, she was older.

My gut instinct says that it is probably safe now that Bob is 4 months old but as you said, keep an eye on him.

Btw, how long ago did you get Bob?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 10:19 PM

I think it's very young kittens that you need to worry about.

Quote:
Kittens (younger than 8 weeks of age) often have temporary bouts of diarrhea for various reasons. They are also more apt to step in their feces and then will end up ingesting the litter when grooming their paws. Very small kittens may even attempt to eat the litter. For this reason, I advise using a NONclumping litter for small kittens. This is the only time I will use a pelleted litter (pine or newspaper) or the non-clumping clay litter. To maintain strict cleanliness, discard the entire amount of litter as necessary (1-2 times daily) and wash the litter box before re-filling. Do NOT just simply remove the feces - the urine MUST be discarded also.
http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 11:19 PM

If you're still weary about switching to clumping clay litter, maybe you should try Swheat Scoop or World's Best cat litter until you are sure it's okay to make the switch?
Swheat Scoop is made from wheat and World's Best is made from corn. I am pretty sure the risk factor of anything happening from your cat swallowing it would be pretty low.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I have had Bob for almost a month. He is doing well and we are both very happy. John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page