Local Cat Clinic "selling" kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Local Cat Clinic "selling" kittens

my local cat clinic take in a lot of abandoned/stray kittens and then "sell" them when they are about 7 weeks old to anybody who wanders into the clinic. They go for $60 but have obviously had no altering, shots etc so the buyer then has to go back to the clinic and pay for all the shots and altering etc as time goes on. A friend of mine says that the clinic is just money-mad and don't care about cats. When you go in there to get a kitten they don't even ask you any questions about what sort of home you have, whether you are even allowed pets, whether you have any other pets etc etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 02:35 PM

Hmmm... that's rather dissapointing coming from a "cat clinic". One would get better advice and info from a pet shop.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Cool Cat

That's...well, stupid. Stupid for the "cat clinic" for not being more concerened about where the cats are going and stupid for the people paying so much for the cats who haven't had shots, tests, or come with a low-cost spay/neuter certificate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 04:44 PM
Premier Cat

That is very dissapointing. One would think they would at least be altered and have their shots. Who is to say the people who buy these kittens will have them spay and neutered? If they don't, chances are more stray/abandoned kittens.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 05:33 PM

Are you absolutely certain that they do not have their shots???
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Well, I think it's a shame that they don't put some effort into finding out who the kittens are going home with, but my guess is most people who go in there are clients, so they know them.
As for the money. I've got no issue with that. Don't we always say "free to a good home" is a really bad thing to do.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I don't think it's unusual that they charge, but that charge should include altering. I would also expect some questions to be asked, to make sure the kittens get good homes.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 09:16 PM

That is totally appalling and very disheartening . I really would consider turning them into a animal welfare organization. I am quit baffled by this, I do not get it. How could a "reputable" vet clinic which is supposedly there to help and prevent cruelty and unethical practices do such an unethical thing (?) . It is a real concerning situation to me, I am very very disturbed to hear such a thing.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:36 AM

That is awful charging that much money for a kitten/cat without an vaccinations or neutering! We charge donations for rehoming animals, but the money goes into our stray fund to pay for other strays, NOT into my boss' pocket...and our strays are all neutered/vaccinated, and the adoptee signs an agreement stating they will get it done if the animal is unable to be done before leaving i.e too young.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Are you absolutely certain that they do not have their shots???
yes. my friend bought one and they made appointments for her to take him back for his shots and later for alterin - all at her own expense. It did seem like a way for them to make a buck. When she took him elsewhere - somewhere cheaper - for his shots, the clinic bombarded her with letters/postcards asking her to come in for the shots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page