scratching - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

scratching

Hi everybody this is my first time on this site and i have a problem im hoping someone can help!! One of my cats has a scratching problem with my hall wall well two corners of the hall she has ripped off the wallpaper right back to the chipboard and she also digs at my bedroom carpet to get the little nylon stringy bits and she eats them. She is a house cat and was a stray but she was 12-14weeks when i got her now 2yrs old. she is very demanding cat and very cuddley when she wants to be and on her terms. I have had soft claws put on her at the vets they work for a while but i hate taking her in as she turns into the cat from **** i have tried scratching posts and she ignores them. any ideas?

thank you gabs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Banned

You just haven't found the right kind of scratching surface yet. I have three cats and they each prefer a different kind of scratching surface. I have four posts, five boxes, and two mats.

You could also put sticky paws on the surfaces scratched most often to deter your cat from those locations.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:06 PM

I have a kitty that scratches walls near the litterboxes so I just put some white cardboard there and that gets scratched instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Cat Addict

The only thing I've had success with my cats is the cardboard scratchers:

They're cheap, so if your cat doesn't like it then you aren't out much. My cats do not care about sisal posts, and definitely don't care about the plain carpeted ones. One of my cats scratches the wooden door frames in addition to the scratchers we have out. I'm considering buying a cedar scratching post, but they're a bit on the pricey side.

Good luck
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

thanks for that do any of you know if there is anything i can put on the posts to attract her to it.
gabs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Banned

Catnip.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:27 AM
Cool Cat

Funny you called yourself "Gabs". That one of my cat's nicknames, I always call him that.

Good luck with the scratching problem. I have been pretty lucky but my patio screen has gotten abused and double stick tape won't stick to it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnGella
I have a kitty that scratches walls near the litterboxes so I just put some white cardboard there and that gets scratched instead.
oh wow thats a good idea I have scratching posts but my cats always go for our couch.. least its not a brand new couch lol
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 07:01 PM

Sammi has the same problem with scratching walls. Your cat might like the more natural feel a wall has, so I would suggest getting her a cedar scratching post. It's wood, so it will feel similar to a wall. Some cats just don't like to scratch sisal or carpeted posts. Sammi hates them.

I would spray bitter apple on the parts she is eating.

You can buy Soft Paws and put them on yourself, if you want to avoid taking her to the vet to do it. We put them on by ourselves and it works okay.

Also, she might be misbehaving out of boredom. I would try to have more interactive play time with her everyday. Try doing two 15 minute play sessions a day. If she feels like she's getting enough active play from you, she may not be so inclined to play naughty by herself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page