Seeking Advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Seeking Advice

Hello,

I am looking for some advice. I own or am owned by, rather. 4 cats and a dog. Yesterday, my husband called me from work and told me of a tiny kitten found wandering the parking lot. It had been dumped and security found it. The company my husband works for, usually calls and has the animals destroyed, as it's a delicate place where these animals lives are in danger. Noone else would take the kitten. So, I told him to bring it home. They thought it was a girl. They was wrong. It's a boy. Now, I have 3 females and one very dominate male.

Once hubby got home, we kept him seperate from my others. He hadn't been tested for the usual things I test for. So I fed him a little food then off to the vet we went. He passed all his test and got his first shots. My other cats are all fixed save for one, which we will be spaying next month. I love my animals, but there are WAY to many kittens without homes. Needless to say, my cats are upset about this new addition. My male is positivly livid. So... my question is. What is the likly hood of my male cat accepting this newest addition. Who will be 'snipped' soon as he's old enough. BTW, all my cats are inside. I will do right by this baby, I took responsibility for him, so if I must rehome him, there will be a lengthy Q&A as well as a contract, to ensure he gets the best home. Should anything happen and they change thier minds, he will come back here.

I want to do what is best for my own cats as well as for this little one, and would like others opinions. I know around here 'it's the season' for kittens, and I'm not sure if he'll be adopted or not. I do NOT want this little guy to be destroyed. He has a WONDERFUL tempermant. Very laid back for 8-10 weeks old.

I am more experianced with dog behaviour. I love my cats and they all got along. So perhaps 2 males can get along, I'm not sure. Thus, my asking here. If 2 males can get along, great. I'll stop worring. *lol*

So, please. Can anyone offer any advice?
Kallie's Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 02:27 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
How wonderful of you to want to do the right thing by this kitten!

I dont really see a problem with keeping him, as long as you have the means to take care of him, and a big enough house for each cat to have their own "space". Take care to introduce them properly, and with time everyone can get along fine (And yes, two males can get along famously!)

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!

At the moment, none of them are happy. They are all hissing at each other. But that's all they do. They've NEVER had a fight. They all play and wrestle. My male is very dominate, he will often chase the others off the bed to sleep with me. And routinly will bluff my 60+ pound dog into relinquishing his food bowl to a 5-7 pound cat. *lol*

Our house isn't huge, 3 bedroom house, no kids, so the animals get their own room and free run of the house. All our cats have been rescues/strays.

Started with Kallie, she was a barn cat. Super smart, and very very affectionate.

Then Jazmine, she was found in a bucket on a woman's porch, she was 3 days old. We bottle raised her and now she's the biggest one of the bunch. *lol*

Then there's Indy, my male..another barn cat. He runs the house. *lol* He is a 2 person cat.

Followed by, Hexie. We found her sleeping under our porch in winter, loaded with worms. She bares signs of abuse. She is hand shy, looks as if she has had a broken jaw, walks funny, as if her hips are a problem and at a year old only weighs about 3-4 pounds. She is slowly coming around, and will love on feet as she feels they are 'safe'. Recently she has started to come and get treats when I call the others. So each day there is improvement.

Lastly, Jax...our newest addition.

We had not planned to have 4 cats much less 5. *lol* My husband swore up and down that was it. Good thing I married a sucker for a cute face with paws. *lol*

Kallie's Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 04:59 AM

Sounds like my household... I keep bringing things home too!

Male cats certainly can get on, all mine are neutered males. A kitten is far easier to introduce to an established set of adults than another adult, anf if you were to keep him, it would just be a matter of time and patience before they eventually accept him. The little one will learn to respect his elders and I'm sure they will learn that he's not really so bad.

I have done a lot of introductions, and there are always hissing and spitting initially. When I brought my 2 youngest home (Mac & Theo), Riley was in a serious huff for around a week afterwards - hissing at them, the dogs and us as well. Out of the blue, he realised they were an enormous source of fun and today, they are all best friends, so closely bonded.

Good luck, Ems
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 08:18 AM

I have (4) four cats. 3 are neutered males and 1 is a female. They all get along fine. My newest addition is a little bit of handful. I don't think he has quite found his place yet.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think time will help considerably. Don't forget that having the same scent is a big help when introducing one cat to another, exchanging bedding and putting a drop of vanilla on the back of each kitty's neck. As one member said, "it can't hurt, and I don't mind having a bunch of kitties running around smelling like cookies!" I wish you the best! Let us know how things progress!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. I truly feel better about the situation. I was feeling bad for my others as they was quite upset. Most of all my male, he would attack our dog, when he was a pup if not allowed to sleep in our bedroom. So did not want to put this little guy in a bad situation where he might get hurt.

However today is a new day and the cats have settled down. Jazmine was starting to come around and play with him. She's always the first. Kallie's more the matriarch, she only settles disagreements and doesn't appreciate the pouncing of young kittens. Though occassionally she'll get all wild and run around and wrestle. Just depends on how she feels, she has a bad hip. Indy my male, only hisses. Jax infact will chase him and doesn't appear to notice the hissing. *lol* Hexie, she hisses and runs from him. She and Indy might take the longest. But still it looks like it'll work. They arn't trying to hurt him.

Jax seems to know he was rescued, he cuddles and purrs and just seems grateful to have a warm spot to be and plenty of food. He's feeling better and was up to usual kitten antics, climbing and running and getting into everything.

Sincerely,
Kallie's Mom
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That's wonderful! Kittens are such a joy--even if they rival tornadoes in tearing things up!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page